Single out your single Malts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
laphroig quarter cask (the 48% one.)
but i might try a blend (big gasp of horror heard) next called BIG PEAT which is a islay blend and has a good write up ,and then i'll try a islay single malt called SMOKEHEAD,lol.

If you can get hold of it, try Loch Dhu, its quite expensive but will be right up your street. they line the barrel with peat and then slowly burn it out. then add the whisky into the charcoal mess thats left. Its literally jet jet black.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
If you can get hold of it, try Loch Dhu, its quite expensive but will be right up your street. they line the barrel with peat and then slowly burn it out. then add the whisky into the charcoal mess thats left. Its literally jet jet black.

mmmmmmmmm that sounds ????? peaty lol, i'll save me pennies then.lol. £190.00 UPWARDS FOR A 10 YEAR OLD !!! it must be good,lol

Last edited:

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Ive been working in so many of the great whiskey distillerys of Scotland that ive lost count.
The thing is that its your taste,and people can only give you a guide.
Here is my top 3
bunnahabhain
balvenie
knockando
Ive not put any ages on the selections as i think you should try their 12 before you shell out for their more expensive drams.
Soloman

That sounds fun, what did you do? and do they offer good staff discounts?

Various Balvenies for me, single cask 15 yr is a fave and I have one special bottle of 30yr old.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
King of Malts has to be Highland Park, 12 or 18yo. After that The Macallan Sherry 18yo, Glenrothes any vintage and for a bit of peat but still soft and smooth Laphroaig 10. I was made a Keeper of the Quaich in 1998 and a Master of the Quaich in 2008 so I have spent a fair bit of time (at someone else's expense) refining my shortlist!

NS

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
mmmmmmmmm that sounds ????? peaty lol, i'll save me pennies then.lol. £190.00 UPWARDS FOR A 10 YEAR OLD !!! it must be good,lol

Just to show you how peaty it is, i went and grabbed the bottle and tried to get a pic with light shinning through it!

IMG_5074.JPG

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Have a look at the supermarkets own single malts, a lot cheaper then the big name brands but they are very nice.

Many of the big stores' own brand malt whiskies are usually from well known distilleries. Morrison's own Islay malt was a 10 year old Ardbeg for a while.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Cask strength Islay for preference, but, really, anything from Islay is wonderful. I also enjoy Talisker and Highland Park.

Not a huge fan of Speyside/Highland, but I like Glenlivet - just soooo smooth.

Cheers

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK
Just finished a 21 year Balvenie portwood , would love to try the 30 year , I'm tempted to try the 3cl sampler at about £17.
The kids bought me a bottle of St George's chapter 6 for Xmas

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE