Singer 1890s coffin top treadle

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I have wanted one of these as a sewing table for a long time and finally got one from Ebay and collected from Chesterfield over the weekend :)

Theses don't seem to be hard to find at present so I don't have a problem striping all the one hundred years of patina i.e dirt to make it into a clean work area .

So my winter project Is to strip the wood and wax so the mahogany at least I think that's what it is can be seen and repaint the treadle .

Here it is as collected ,

1890s coffin top treadle

Singer logo in the casting

ye olde treadle

brass door handles

drawer detail

still full of some ones sewing history

Original head long gone and replaced with a 66K, Number dates replacement 66k as 1937

British Railways button found in the drawer

Singer box

some old keys including the ones foe the cabinet , bobbins and a singer 99 handbook

After Two hours with the general furniture wipes a hundred years of nicotine ,coal smoke , and other grime have been removed , its now not sticky to the touch.

Heres where the lid protected the singer .

I not interested in saving the patina I want it as a clean work surface ,,,

Loads more to come .

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I'll watch this with interest Cliff as I have a similar one that belonged to my great grandmother. Its gathering dust at the moment so this might inspire me.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Very nice mate, a good capable machine, the 66. Those tables often have damage and bits missing but that looks really up together.:)

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Over all its in good nick the coffin box has a bit of hammer on the edges but so would I after a hundred years :).

Bit busy with work and sewing this week but I will crack on when time permits .

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Nice to see one of those tables under a sewing maching rather than repurposed as "quirky" pub tables.

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Quick update time

All wood has been stripped and had its first sanding ,

Sewing to do so I will go back to it next week with a fresh eye .

The dark making looking where it is singer oil marks so there staying

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's looking really good; they really are nicely made when you take the time to strip them back like that. Looking forward to seeing that one finished :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Straight beeswax polish then after you have wire wooled it to silk (0000 grade by the end). Obviously make your own beeswax polish with proper ingredients like real turpentine. It smells like heaven and gives a wonderful finish.

Let me know if you don't have the stuff and I'll make you a batch :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a very fine job of work there, looks just as it should and ready for another life. Many people name all their machines with human names; if you were to name that one, Lazarus would suit nicely :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE