Simple flintsteel pouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Hi

I plan to make my own simple flintsteel pouch to hold my flint, steel, charcloth etc.

Anyone got some simple instructions/plans for it and also a list of things I will need.

Cheers in advance.

Scott.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
That's a great help thanks Graham.

So just need needle, thread, leather and whatever a bradle is?

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
leon-b said:
what is the difference between an awl and a bradle ?
leon

for our skill they are one and the same thing! - though I expect a craftsman would argue! :rolleyes:

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
for pouches like this I use upholstry thread - is thin and v strong!

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I can't remember the size but I use embrodery needles for that thread size 14 or 16 I think...... (you will kinda know when you see it)

The important bit is that it is blunt! - you are sewing through holes already made so it dosn't need to be sharp (and thus dosn't hurt so much when you jab it in your thumb! :eek:

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
jon r said:
i would love to make some pouches like this! The only troubble i have is finding the leather!

Isf i bought an old coat really cheap is there a way of making the leather look new again?

Can you re-dye leather?

Yup you can re-dye (darker of course) - and the stuff from wolly's isn't too bad!

Then again you can find some great stuff in charaty shops and old leather has character I think!

I've also just used good old shoe polish - that seems to give it a lift without making it look 'false'

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
DISCLAIMER!!!

- Please bear in mind I am no expert! - and there is probably a FAR better way to do things than I do!
I just hope that with my half hearted descriptions it helps and if someone has a go and is pleased with their result then thats great! :)

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
leon-b said:
what is the difference between an awl and a bradle ?
leon
An awl is either square or round in section and finishes with a point.
A Brad awl is also round or square cross section but the tip is like a small screwdriver blade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE