Simple Fire Piston

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
Hello..

I spent a few months trying to make a fire piston from different materials. The only one that I got to work, was made out of brass.

Attached, is a simple drawing that should give you an idea.

The ideal lubricant was butter and parrafin 50/50.

Obviously you need a lathe and the fit needs to be free. The "O Ring" was sliced from a piece of rubber tubing that is used on fishing floats. Once you put the ring on , the compression can be felt. Its important that you get the correct combustion chamber size, or it will not work.

If your really good, you could add extra screw fitting on the end to keep spare rings or tinder.

Its amazing the look on peoples faces when I use this for lighting gas at work.

It takes about an hour to make one fire piston .

If anybody is really desperate ...I will gladly swop one for something...no cash please..

Hope this helps John

Attachments

• Brass Fire Piston.JPG
    Brass Fire Piston.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 194

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
very well done that man.:D there have been a number of threads about DIY firepistons but a nice brass one sounds right up my street. right i'm off to my lathe, i hope i'm not in trouble with SWMBO when i get back:eek:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Nice one Shadow,
I made one myself recently, though used different materials - described in another fire-piston thread.

Note to self.... must get a picture up...

ATB

Ogri the trog

hobo

Tenderfoot
Jun 9, 2005
sheffield uk
your pm if thats ok just got rid of lathe doh!! got 15cm about half inch diam hex brass for materials if you want it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE