Silva compass problem

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have a little Silva compass in a blue flip case with mirror. I have had it for quite a while but on getting it out my bag today it appears to have had a wobbly? It seems to have flipped poles with the north needle pointing south. Also the white south bit of the needle seems to drag along the bottom of the vial while the red north does the same at the top. It looks like it has come off it's pivot pin but I can't quite see how?

I wonder if it can be salvaged somehow or will I need a new one?

Thanks,

Steve.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Silva are very good at replacing items with problems, in order to keep their good reputation. I took one back to the shop where I bought it, because it had developed a bubble which was affecting the swing of the needle. They sent it to Silva and i got a replacement with no trouble, It was certainly one at the top of their range. I know someone who had the same trouble as you. And it was reconned that he had kept it near to an electrical motor, such as in the glove compartment of his car ,near to the windscreen wiper motor. I do not know if he did anything about getting a replacement or just chucked it as it was a basic model. I avoid keeping mine near pocket radios or anything of that nature now. Cheers Stuart

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Looks like I may have fixed it? I got a magnet and sort of swiped it over the needle while the south part was pointing north and it reversed polarity again! And it seems to have fixed the needle wonkyness too!

Well it's back working normally for now....

Steve.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
It is quite common for the needle to repolarise in reverse. Keeping the compass in a rucksack pocket next to a mobile phone (can be a strong magnetic source) is often the cause of the problem.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Re cigarette lighters not working. I had this problem with a couple of lighters which depended on piso electricity, but much later re discovered the instructions that came with one of them. The instructions said to ensure that all the gas remaining in the lighter was removed by pressing the filler valve with a sharp object like a ball point pen. This I tried and I was surprised the amount of gas that had remained in the lighter though it appeared empty. Once this was done, I had no more problems. Sometimes when the lighter is newly filled, it requires to be left for a short time, before it will light. I think this may be because the liquid gas has not had time to vaporise.. Worth a try, anyway ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE