Silly Trangia/meths burner experiences

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gaoler

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Notts
Hi all.

Just wondering, after reading another trangia thread, what silly things you've seen or perpetrated.

I make and experiment with making my own so I'll set the ball rolling.

Whilst stewarding at a county cricket ground, three friends of mine (all full time Firemen) planned ahead and took water, kettle and mashing stuff to the gate they were supervising as they expected to be there most of the day.

They set the burner on the ground between two bricks & used the wodden gate as a wind guard. The kettle was larger than a small camp kettle so the burner had to be refulled to bring the kettle to the boil.

Being long in the tooth professionals you would of expected the appropriate precautions to be taken.

Wellllllll.... the fuel bottle was opened and poured before I could speak. The surprise on
their faces as the fire found a free flowing food source and leapt eagerly to the bottle was a sight to behold.

I got the giggles.

I the act of jumping up and exclaiming "Oh! Errrrrr.... s*#t Oww" the fuel bottle was dropped and the meths started running across the gateway, under the wooden gate and towards the incoming punters.

The act of seeing three fully qualified professional fire men panicking about the small fire they caused robbed me of all ability to speak due to the hilarity of the situation.
Luckily the office area ten feet away had a fire extinguisher just inside the door so the situation was soon back under control. Thanks to the receptionist.

This is true but I will not embarrass anyone by revealing names and locations.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I set fire to my tent trying have a late night brew in the tent..... at a Bcuk meet at Loch Tay. I put the fire out with my bare hands and wandered round bandaged up the next day feeling very, very silly. :eek: :twak: :slap:

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
I've had had flames billowing out of my coleman lantern many times,but my most heart stopping moment was when I ventured into the world of oxy acetylene welding.
Got myself the torch and accessories hired the bottles from BOC and had a go in the garage.
turned the acetylene on got the pressure right, lit the torch, Everything fine.
turned the oxygene on and WHOOSH flames came from the top of the cylinder , engulfing the regulator. Panic wasn't quite the word, fortunately I have a sink in the garage so I wet a towel and got it round the bottle in time, the regulator was completley melted,

I sat down with a glass of somthing strong then :
SOLD THE LOT AND WENT BACK TO THE ARC WELDER

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm a relative newbie to meths cooking and had a few dodgy moments not being able to tell if it was lit or not, I've always been an petrol stove user and you know when that's burning.
I've put the lid back on my Tatonka a couple of times now without letting it cool first. I've managed to flip it off again before the seal melts but it's only a matter of time.

I was once at an organised haloween bonfire at a pub in Leeds and watched a bloke pour a bucket of petrol onto a naked flame to get it going early on. It certainly got it going and he got a free ride in an ambulance for his troubles.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Lol, whilst having lunch on an overhanging lip on the north side of kinder scout this summer, smart **** here thought his trang had gone out...
"so i'll just pop a bit more meths in" i thought..

Queue fireball...

my m8 was laughing his socks off and i almost pitched myself over the ledge... still gives me a giggle. i would have only fallen 6 feet onto a larger ledge but still i think the look on my face will forever give him happy moments...
i always double check now. thank smeg for those safety bottles tho!

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
staying at my cousins when i was a kid ,his dad had asked him to get the coal fire going before he came in, (they owned and ran a garage/service station)after trying for ages to get the fire lit,he went out to one of the forecourt pumps put some petrol in a quart tin came back and poured it over the fire then lit it, all i remember about it was a white flash then the living room of fire, luckily one of the mechanics came in with a fire extinguisher and put it out,luckily our only injuries where singed hair and eyebrows,the living room needed redecorating.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE