Silky Saws - what's the difference between cheap and extortionate???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've been looking on Amazon for silky saws having read people recommending them on here for starter kit. I've seen various versions and a wide range of prices from £20 to well over £100. The expensive ones do look better materials but not sure the expensive ones are that much better than the cheapest.

So which one do I get for occasional use?

Cheap

Expensive

Or which one between those?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Pretty much the expensive ones are just bigger.
Tree surgeons use them a lot and it beats carrying a chainsaw up a tree sometimes.
You don't want one thats too big to carry with ease.
Bigger almost always cuts faster cos you get longer cutting strokes but they don't cut so fast if you left it at home cos it doesn't fit in a pocket.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

dnarcher

Jul 21, 2016
Sheffield
Pull saws in general cut faster as they are thinner. Silky saws are excellent, sharp, and fast cutting, leaving a good finish.
Do check the tooth size. Bigger teath means faster cutting. Some identical saws are made with different size teeth.
If you can get hold of shark saws, they were very good, but any triple ground pull saw should give you a flavour of what you are spending your money on.

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
I use them professionally and for hobby work. I’ve also used a series of other pruning saws. By choice I wouldn’t use anything else. For carrying in a back pack the big boy is all you need and more.

Reactions: Paulm

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
I have Bahco Laplander but wanted a bigger saw. So I ended up buying the Silky Big Boy. Perfect size for me = folded about 40cm. Not too big, not too small. And about same length as the big Skrama or the Gränsfors small forest axe so they go together well.

Reactions: Paulm

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have apples, grapes and a bunch of other things. All my pruning gear is Fiskars. I'm quite pleased.
I like the fine tooth saw blades as they leave a smoother pruned surface to paint, not so ragged and torn up.
I like the blade curve and how gravity can do the work on a pull cut.

I bought some fine spare blades with every intention of making up short handles.
Yup, certainly, for sure, I'll get to it. Yeah, right.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
At local garden centre they had a Fiskars one. In fact a few Japanese ones, can't read Japanese so no idea of make. They had IIRC Farrow and Ball, Opinel, Burgon and Ball, Kent and Stowe, etc. Some were very expensive others like the Opinel were cheaper at about £22.

RG30something

Jun 23, 2020
Reading, Berks
I’ve got the pocket boy, I forget the exact length but it’s the smaller one (130?). Great little saw. I’ve also got a Bahco Laplander and the Silky is better in my opinion but it depends what you want it for.

I did find a huge range of prices even for that one model. Ranging from £55 (on Amazon I think). Eventually after doing some googling, I found it at a local garden tool place for around £27. I’d definitely suggest shopping around!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
At local garden centre they had a Fiskars one. In fact a few Japanese ones, can't read Japanese so no idea of make. They had IIRC Farrow and Ball, Opinel, Burgon and Ball, Kent and Stowe, etc. Some were very expensive others like the Opinel were cheaper at about £22.

The one you couldn't read was probably samurai. They are a notch or two below silky but very good for the money

Number6

Jul 26, 2020
Norfolk
At work I regularly use a Silky F180, lightweight and enough blade length to deal with jobs that crop up.
I have other Silky saws but this one is the one that gets used the most.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I currently have a kent and stowe little folder, probably 150mm blade, still going strong after about 3 years occasional use. Can't really fault it but not big enough for processing a lot of wood. My new samurai js300 is great for that (300mm blade). Not had it long but it's fixed blade and light as a feather, plenty big enough for processing a good amount of wood whilst still being light and packable. I have worked with a silky zubat a lot (370mm blade) heavy saw (and heavy sheath) wouldn't like to carry it but a beast at processing wood. Not a suprise with a bigger blade and silky pedigree. Used to have an opinel folding saw, good blade, felt better quality blade than the K&S, but the locking ring was crap just got gnarled up all the time with sawdust. Not a comfy handle either.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE