Silky Pocket Boy - snap!

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I proudly whipped out my Silky Pocket Boy (oooh missus) for the first time on a canoe trip yesterday to saw up some smallwood. Went through the first few pieces like a knife through butter then the tip snapped off on the fourth piece. I was cutting on the pull and being careful. This strikes me as absolute rubbish - I have never managed to break a Laplander in the same way.

Anyone else had similar experiences ? I would never trust it enough to take it on another trip

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I have never used a pocket boy but I have snapped the tip of a few Gomtaro's at work, its usually when the tip sticks on the push stroke bends then snaps, its the steel they use to be honest it doesn't like to bend.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i've never used a poket boy either but would echo what SOAR had to say, it is usually when the tip sticks on the push stroke, some saws are surprisingly brittle. the only reason i've posted really is to say that i've done exactly the same thing (tip stuck on push stroke) with a laplander saw a few times and been really surprised at how far the blade bent without snapping, and how easy it was to whack it back into shape with a lump of timber. i keep looking at the big opinel folding saws because i like the look of the wooden handle but i just can't justify the expense when i know that the laplander is such a good tool in so many ways.

stuart

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Not got a silky, but have done the same with a gardena folding saw. This saw has a quite thick blade compared to the likes of laplander, and their own fixed saws(i have 2 & rate them highly), is the silky a thick blade ?, and as such less flexible ?, as has been said, the others just bend, and are easily hammerd back to shape.

Rob

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
id try and take it back that defo should not happen on the pull stroke, maybe a problem with that batch of blades??????

let us know how you get on.....

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
I've snapped a tip off mine and also broken a blade once (me being clumsy). As has been said, the steel is brittle, but only because it is so very hard, and therefore stays sharp for so much longer - mine has been used loads and is still razor sharp. I've modified my technique slightly (VERY cautious on the push stroke and firm but straight on the pull stroke) and not had any further problems. It's a VERY quick cutter when used properly. One mod I'd consider is to grind the last tooth off - it's a little too close to the tip. I'd still recommend it to anyone though - love mine :)

Last edited:

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
also a spare blade, although not very cheap, is small and light and easy to stash somewhere as a spare - easy to change blades so you'll be back in action in 2 mins.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE