Silicone cup and bowl set - good for 'schrafting?

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hmm... im undecided. Ive been using a Sea to Summit silicone cup on and off for a while . It is lightweight, robust and easy to pack but its not that easy to clean without hot soapy water and I always seem to spill my drink as the cup is not solid like metal. Choosing between it and my SS mug and the steel mug is the winner.
However the kids use the Sea to Summit bowl and plate on family days out and it works great, I like the hard base for chopping apples and carrotts. I also use silicone a lot for baking at home. The flexiblity of the material makes it work but it's also the drawback.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I've have a set of these (guyot designs)for about 2yrs now after watching a review of them on dave canterbery's pathfinder youtube channel.
They take a little getting use to, and are not particularly stable if you over fill them. But they do work very well in terms of insulation from heat transfer when in your hands.
You can also use them to cook in too. Dave canyerbery did a video where he used them as muffin cases and used his canteen cup with a foil lid as an oven on the campfire. It seemed to work very well.

Last edited:

Bluemerle

Nomad
Nov 6, 2010
Essex
i dont use them, but i do have a silicon water bowl for my dog. brilliant for space saving and light weight. She has been known to fold it flat when it still has water in it!

shortymcsteve

Forager
Jan 8, 2011
Hamilton, Scotland
Oops, sorry.. not used to the posts going the other way, can i change the direction they are shown?

Anyway i had just watched a video of someone in the US talking about these right before i read this topic and he said the great thing is they are very easy to clean and he uses it all the time.
I have seen them used already by a lot of folk, was thinking about testing them myself but i don't really need them so its just taking with me non needed items.
They do seem a good idea tho, i must say.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE