Sighting in a new optic

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
I went back to the crown land quarry today to sight in my scope. I have never really been a scope shooter so was not sure what to expect. I did not bring my brothers bore sight kit and thought I would just wing it.
I am not really an expert at sighting in stuff so I was pleased to see that with my initial shot I was at least on the target. A few clicks later and I was getting practical results.

528308_10151330850805044_1997169367_n.jpg

First I dumped a few rounds into the center and found out I was a bit high and a bit to the right. A few clicks had me closer to the middle and confident enough to start on the black dots. Top left first then bottom left. By bottom right I was starting to get things where I wanted them and an adjustment in shooting position was all I needed. Top right was more or less on target and all that was left was human error. If I still seem to be a bit high on my next outing I may go down a click or two.

Today I had an issue that reminded me why I still wear eye and ear protection even when firing a .22Cal. I had a casing failure which gave me a face full of powder and brass, blowing the bottom out of the magazine. I was fine and the rifle was fine but I think I am done with Federal Bulk ammo.

525405_10151330850360044_1146002717_n.jpg

So tonight we strip and clean and find a new ammo source. Otherwise a fun way to spend 2 hours.

Remington 597 with Bushnell scope. Not a bad rifle for under $280Cdn. invested.
IMG_3513_zpsf11c58be.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nothing much wrong with a 597 - I'm a 10/22 man but the 597 wasn't around back then!

Nice rifle - Mr Kelly will like it too ;)

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I have the same rifle in stainless. I have just put a nikko sterling 1 x - 4 x on it so will be zeroing it tomorrow.

I have had many many headaches with it over the years - I first had a custom hammer put in it to make the trigger break somewhere I could use one finger, then I had to work lots of ammo.

I am happy to report that the new hammer and CCI subsonic rounds make this shoot all day long with super results and I have taken bunnies to 70 yards with it. The CCI segmented is supposed to significantly reduce ricochets too.

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
The first few bricks I put through it were CCI but now I cannot find them in town. It would eat those all day no problem. I have heard a lot of guys use aftermarket hammers and extractors on these but it has not been an issue for me yet. I may find a new stock for it at some point but it is a nice all around rifle for the cost. I do not like the magazines for it though.

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
I sighted it in at 25-30 meters. Rabbits here are seen in the woods not in fields so typical encounters are kissing distance. I only had 2 hours so next outing I will zero it at 50 and 75 as well for fun.

Most of my pot hunting is done with a Remington 870.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE