SIGG oval bottle with cup

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
I bought one of these SIGG bottles last recently:

http://www.sigg-aluminium.co.uk/traveller-oval-black--cup-06l-68-p.asp

It's just what I needed for short over-nighters in my local forest, or a half day hike. I find 0.6 litres just enough for a couple of brews. The stainless steel cup can be placed in a fire to boil water and feels really solid.

The oval shape and the cup fitting over the bottle makes packing it very space efficient. It's a bit pricey, but I would thoroughly recommend it.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Wine in mine otherwise I need to drink a whole bottle! For shorter trips water (which if left in magically changes into wine :eek: ;))

Not sure about putting it into a fire I thought that as it's got seams.... :confused: but if you've done it repeatedly with no ill effects then that's good info!

Cheers,

Alan

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
I've boiled water twice....cup still fine, and the soot cleans off the smooth stainless steel easily.

I like the hip flask idea, but if I took 0.6l of whiskey to the woods I'd never be able to get in my hammock.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
I saw those, and automatically though a technical hip flask, well, at least something useful for carrying a bit of essential around with me, nothing like a nip of brandy in my coffee as a night cap.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Not big enough for water, but big enough for a one night supply of booze:)

I have the original cork top version as well.

Gailainne

Life Member
I bought one of these SIGG bottles last recently:

http://www.sigg-aluminium.co.uk/traveller-oval-black--cup-06l-68-p.asp

It's just what I needed for short over-nighters in my local forest, or a half day hike. I find 0.6 litres just enough for a couple of brews. The stainless steel cup can be placed in a fire to boil water and feels really solid.

The oval shape and the cup fitting over the bottle makes packing it very space efficient. It's a bit pricey, but I would thoroughly recommend it.

First time I saw one was on a course with Jeremy of Islay Birdwatching, he combined his with a small pre mac filter.

I wouldn't recommend using the cup on a fire, can't remember who used one like that, but the seam gave way, if you look at the bottom its a separate piece, brazed or soldered on.

I made a pouch for mine as I found that putting the bottle down anywhere, inevitably meant fouling the inside of the cup.

CIMG0001.jpg

Cheers

Stephen

Air Pirate

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2009
Nashville, TN, USA
I like these little bottles too. I don't own one of the newer ones, but I found old Sigg Swiss Army surplus bottles on a website. They're $20 for 6 of them! The bottle is on the left, on the right is a mini brew kit I made by chopping one of the bottles down.
Canteen001.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For those with the original corked bottle version, have you noticed that the cups in the old ones don't have a seam? They are also possible to swap to the new bottle (although just a shade tight, they do fit)

:)

Thanks Rik!

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I like these little bottles too. I don't own one of the newer ones, but I found old Sigg Swiss Army surplus bottles on a website.

DO you have the link for that site? I got one of the old ones, and use the cup with a newer bottle, but always fancied getting another one..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE