Sigg bottles; any point to them?

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I have a couple of sigg bottles but this is my fav, I have had it years. It goes to work with me every day and has seen loads of action including dropping it off the top of the scaffolding... I never clean it other than a quick shake every morning, but then it only ever has had water in it. It has had 1 replacement top and the one on it is getting quite worn so will need another top soonish. The water in it tastes as good at the end of the day as it did when I first fill it. The only problem I have is the build up of limescale just inside the bottle, but that gets a scrape every so often...

003486x648.jpg

I have had a couple of the wide mouth bottles and don't think they are half as good as the sigg, I always tend to dribble when drinking out of them and you can get a plasticy taste after a while...

That picture is all you need to make the case for Sigg bottles.:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, Jonny, why dont you try sending that pic to the sigg company with a note saying how useful its been and what its been though.

They might give you a new, its a good advertisement

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Yes, Jonny, why dont you try sending that pic to the sigg company with a note saying how useful its been and what its been though.

They might give you a new, its a good advertisement
I wouldn't really want another tbh..That one has years left in it and has a lot of sentimental value too. I see them as good value, they might cost a bit, but they do last well...

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Can't say I find them significantly better than a placky pop bottle.

I own one but its nowt special and if you have ever kicked a plastic pop bottle around you will appreciate just how tough they are, which considering the fact that they don't cost a tenner like Sigg bottles, is pretty good.

Good for putting single malt in I suppose.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Another advantage of the wide mouth bottle

Perhaps the Sigg fans don't find a problem there?

I'll get me coat :D

Red

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I have a Sigg fuel bottle but for drinking I use the cheap imitation from Sports World at around £2.50. It seems to be just as durable as a Sigg to me and a lot cheaper.

I prefer the metal bottle over plastic because the plastic ones tend to leak through the lid, especially if they get squashed (which has happened on many an occasion). That's the main reason I like the metal bottle really and they seem to be a tougher than plastic.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Just to try and scrape the tone back out of the gutter:rolleyes: , the bisphenol chat was interesting (though slightly off-topic so sorry).
Anyone else interested might like to know that all baby bottles are polycarbonate and there's probably more evidence that they're safe than otherwise.
Look here: http://www.bisphenol-a.org/whatsNew/20080205.html for the latest. You might consider not heating them up and changing them every couple of years, though even the data to support that is scetchy.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Clear plastic water bottles allow algae to breed inside if you leave them in the sunlight (eg around camp), plus they aren't as durable if they're inside your 'sack & you drop it on a rock etc.

Ok, a keyword here: TIMESCALE!

Has anybody here got an algae growth problem in their water bottles? I sure as h3ll hasn't, but then again I don't let my bottles lay around camp for, what, like a week? Even more? Even if you somehow do get algae in your water, you should be freakin' happy. The extremely low concentration of nutrients of drinkable water would get metabolised into more digestible stuff, like carbs and proteins, yummy. (and also, algaes don't breed, they grow ;)) This was the corniest reason to chose a sigg bottle ever.

Seriously, the sigg bottle is the most superfluous piece of kit ever invented. Durable? Have you broken any plastic pet-bottles lately? If so, how does your other kit hold up? What are you guys doing to your packs? Light, strong-schmrong, is still gets dents from collisions, which a plastic bottle doesn't, it just bounces back again. And if you do manage to break one, they're almost free. They maybe lighter than your average nalgene bottle, but then there are other bottles on the market, even the supermarket. Nalgene has the definite overhand here because of it's wide mouth. Ever tried washing out a sigg bottle?

Come on, be sincere, the only reason to buy a sigg bottle, IS to buy a sigg bottle. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see sentimental values in water containers...

\rant over!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...

Has anybody here got an algae growth problem in their water bottles? I sure as h3ll hasn't, but then again I don't let my bottles lay around camp for, what, like a week? Even more? Even if you somehow do get algae in your water, you should be freakin' happy. The extremely low concentration of nutrients of drinkable water would get metabolised into more digestible stuff, like carbs and proteins, yummy. (and also, algaes don't breed, they grow ;)) This was the corniest reason to chose a sigg bottle ever.

Seriously, the sigg bottle is the most superfluous piece of kit ever invented. Durable? Have you broken any plastic pet-bottles lately? If so, how does your other kit hold up? What are you guys doing to your packs? Light, strong-schmrong, is still gets dents from collisions, which a plastic bottle doesn't, it just bounces back again. And if you do manage to break one, they're almost free. They maybe lighter than your average nalgene bottle, but then there are other bottles on the market, even the supermarket. Nalgene has the definite overhand here because of it's wide mouth. Ever tried washing out a sigg bottle?

Come on, be sincere, the only reason to buy a sigg bottle, IS to buy a sigg bottle. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see sentimental values in water containers...

\rant over!

Just to help you with your grumbling...I am gonna be getting me a sigg lunch box to keep my sarni's in....

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Pound shop are selling those half litre Sigg clones with copy of flip top lid for, erm, a quid...

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland

Well, the timescale is one of the reasons I have and use a sigg - it stands up to years and years and years of abuse. The pet bottles I used to use definitely haven't done that.

Seriously, the sigg bottle is the most superfluous piece of kit ever invented. Durable? Have you broken any plastic pet-bottles lately? ... Light, strong-schmrong, is still gets dents from collisions, which a plastic bottle doesn't, it just bounces back again. And if you do manage to break one, they're almost free.

Yep, I've broken my fair share of pet bottles. Admittedly, sitting on my backpack with climbing hardware next to the bottle probably isn't the best way to keep the bottles alive, but the sigg takes that abuse without problems.
And I'm not a big fan of a "use-once-throw-away-and-get-a-new-one-because-it's-cheap" approach to what I do. There's enough rubbish being dumped out there, and I don't want to contribute more than the absolute minimum to it.

C'mon Big Swede, you know you want a sigg too... ;) :p

/ Karl

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
timescale in the sense of algae growth..

I've used the same plastic pet-bottle the last couple of years. Consider the energy used to produce aluminium, compared to what goes into making pet. Add to this the recycling of plastic (alu is recyclable too, I know but demands more energy even in recycling), and plastic still is a winner.

I used to have a sigg copy as a meth bottle, but it weighed more than a plastic bottle... The fact that the threads for the cap wore out was a contributing factor too, but was probably just because it was an el cheapo copy.

And for lunchboxes, mine is made of steel!

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
A good point was made about throw away petro chemical bottles.

The world's in a mess because of the cheap throw away culture.

My Sigg bottles are older than a lot of BcUK members,so any pollution and energy waste in their manufacture is well diluted by time.

I dread to think of the impact if I'd used throwable plastic for all these years.:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE