Sierra Nevada

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Back to the Sierra Nevadas: Just been reading how the National Parks and Monuments are being trashed and vandalized
what with the US fed gov shut down. Many Joshua Trees ring-barked, etc = they are rare and slow-growing.
Go see them while they last. Trump will not plug the gov back in for quite a while. That's how he is.

Reactions: woodsorrel

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Back to the Sierra Nevadas: Just been reading how the National Parks and Monuments are being trashed and vandalized
what with the US fed gov shut down. Many Joshua Trees ring-barked, etc = they are rare and slow-growing.
Go see them while they last. Trump will not plug the gov back in for quite a while. That's how he is.

That's such a shame :( I'll never understand such behaviour. The UK is terrible for it. Where I live, during ww2 the local hills had a large bunker network used to mimic a city breaching blackout, to get the luftwaffe to bomb them rather than the nearby city. All the bunkers are fenced off and gated over because it is inevitable that a bunch of plebs would just trash the things. History, nature, why can't people just show a little respect :(

Reactions: santaman2000

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I don't swim in that fish bowl so there's little for me to add.
Same here, particularly in cities.
I don't believe there's any sort of economic "fix" to stop it.
If they vandals had reason to stake some pride of ownership, maybe.

The American southwest truely is a sight to behold for geological beauty.
I saw a lot of it as a kid, right up and into abandoned paleo pueblo villages.
Bring extra chips for your camera and a good 117VAC charger!

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I don't swim in that fish bowl so there's little for me to add.
Same here, particularly in cities.
I don't believe there's any sort of economic "fix" to stop it.
If they vandals had reason to stake some pride of ownership, maybe.

The American southwest truely is a sight to behold for geological beauty.
I saw a lot of it as a kid, right up and into abandoned paleo pueblo villages.
Bring extra chips for your camera and a good 117VAC charger!

It's Beggars belief. When I loved in London I'd be walking behind school children who'd throw their chip box onto the street, with a bin not 10 feet away from them. I'd have slapped them round the face but I'd just have been arrested for assault :/

And I'm one of these people who doesn't do cameras. I don't understand the functions. A smartphone will suffice. I'll save the space for some leather bound journals and fountain pens. I'm in desperate need of some kind of hobby or oersuit, so as per my OP, I'd love to try some long form writing about the people, environment, culture, and especially food. Beyond the freedoms America offers, I also love the fact that you guys have one hell of a range of damned good eating!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
As you know, I'm north of the 49th, the boundary with the USA.
Since 2001, I have eaten 6 or 7 bison. Cut it with a fork tender, you learn to cook properly.
Foraging in season? A dozen species of wild fruit in abundance.
Of course, there's the 5 species of wild Pacific salmon. Pretty sad by the time they get to my place.

More biogeoclimatic diversity in British Columbia than in all the rest of Canada.
Our western region national parks are crowded all year and very costly.

But where, you're going, I could expect dry sunny weather (check the met stats for Reno.)
Plus, you won't have the bears and the wolves like we do here.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I'm back (on the forum) after a while away. I returned from the mountains end of last month.

No real bushcraftimg was done tbh. Although we did set up camp on tha bank of the Yuba River (where I found a nice nugget of gold) and used my slip joint TBS boar to make some feather sticks, and then throw some sparks and light my first ever fire (as in without a lighter etc). Then it was up at 5am, conveniently leaving my knives and pistol in the tent to go tracking some brown bear. I found the tracks, just not the bear.

Going to head back again next year with my hammock, although I must be honest I'm a little apprehensive about sleeping in a hammock in bear country. Not that our tent offered any more protection. At least Iver there I can carry any knife or gun I like without having to tick off a check list making sure I'm not breaking the law regarding good reason.

And where I stayed, there were bears, wolves, mountain lions, coyotes, rattlesnakes, the whole shebang. I spent most of my time traipsing through the forest and desert in search of them. Didn't find one! I really wanted to try cooking up a rattler and get a hat band as a by product.

Nevada gun laws rock! Here is me having a chat with the law on the side of the road while legally holding a 12 gauge and a 44 magnum. It's actually his 12 gauge, he heard I was from the UK so told me to take it out into the desert and see what I think. He also offered me some rifles to go jack rabbit hunting with.
20190504-095823.jpg

I made a fire!
20190502-185337.jpg

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks for the pictures. #2 shows how to control fires.
Everybody builds their fire in the same place so there is never dirty charcoal kicked all over the landscape.
Feel free to add more bricks & stones!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE