should i? should'nt i?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spade13

Oct 12, 2005
manchester
alot of you recoment putting the old viniger platina on knives to help use bushcrafters obsesed with the shiney illness get over it and start enjoying our knives, well ive done this with one of my moras and im very impressed with the result. Thought i now have a dilema do i do this to my woodlore micarta? i know it can be removed and i have no intention of selling my knife (it was a gift) so im thinking why not!! just wanted to see if any one had some reason ive not seen that i shouldnt give it a go?

cheers guys and gals:D

spade13

Oct 12, 2005
manchester
unfortunatly your 2 min too late! just polished it off to make sure it was possible! haha very impresive though if left over night or for a good 12 hours its compleatly black a good heavy platina

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
LOL nevermind. As regards using this technique on the Woody - well, that's one for you to decide but I know I would have nervous twitches in places doing this on any knife that costs more than £10 and I know the Woody is certainly in that bracket :D

Best of luck.

spade13

Oct 12, 2005
manchester
thats a very good point! in a way im not turning something thats all nice and clean into somethng dull and black! im protecting it! haha any excuse!!!! right time for the vinigar kitchin towel and cling film! pics will be following!!! (solong as it dosent go wrong in which case pics will be delayed!) ;)

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I was considering doing this to my pukko, I'm not up for the whole cleaning it afterwards thing if it dosen't go right, mainly because I used the last of the polish the other night when in a mad cleaning fit I did all of the brass and shiny bits in the house.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I've done my Mora with white vinegar and it's come up a treat. I particularly like the effect that stropping has had on it. The blade has a lovely black patina and the bevels are like chrome after a strop using Solvol Autosol. A nice effect that really shows up the figuring in the metal. It's been like this for quite a while now, most pleased!:D

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I did it on my Carbon Frosts Mora and it caused slight uneven surfaces on the blade where the vinegar eroded the carbon and exposed the harder metal underneath.

Sep 2, 2007
I have never tried that... but then again, I'm not objective when it comes puukko knives... I just use the heck out of them and all I do is just wipe some regular house hold oil on the blade and handle ( if it is natural wood) every now and then. I don't use stainless, so I'm not sure how you'd treat them at all... What I love about scandis is that they are so practical and need almost no treatment at all... use them till they are "gone"... which will take a long time!

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Matt W asked earlier in this thread for pictures of Spade 13's vinegar etched Mora and unfortunately, he had cleaned it off. Well, this is my Frosts, i hope it will do instead.

This is a 12 hour soak in a napkin soaked in white vinegar and then wrapped in cling film. Afterwards i dab dried it with a paper towel, then stropped using Solvol Autosol. I have found that, unless the cutting edge becomes damaged, stropping after use is all that is needed on the Frosts blades. Usual stropping with Solvol, then afterwards on a dry strop just to finish. Hair popping sharp!

I like the rustic finish and think it brings out the patterning on the bevel when stropped to a mirror finish.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE