Should I be worried about this vine?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
I planted 3 vines this year for the first time.

Two seem perfectly OK but I have one which has a few spots and a few malformed leaves. I'm not sure if this is something to be worried about?

I did have some whitefly earlier in the year but they have now been dealt with - I don't know if it could be related.

Any ideas / opinions / advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo.jpg

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Looks like some form of fungal infection, you could try googling images of vine leaf problems to narrow it down.

I would pick off the worst leaves and pick up all the leaves in autumn and burn, to get rid of any spores. If signs show next year I'd consider something like Bordeaux mix.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The bottom leaf with the brown edges is definately mildew. Not sure about the dark spots but it's probably mildew too & the curled deformed leaves have probably been sucked by some critters such as thrips. I don't think you have much to worry about & vine leaves at this time of year can look pretty tattered & stained anyway. Clear up all the fallen leaves later on
If you want to treat the mildew, next year when the leaves start to grow spray with Bordeaux mixture (copper sulphate & lime) & respray everytime the rain washes it off. There are other fungicides you can use but I prefer the "Bordo mix" as it's non toxic for us & the enviroment. It's even allowed to be used on organic crops.
What variety(s) have you planted ?

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Not sure what the proper name is but it looks definitely like grape vine blackspot. It's very common in newly planted vines and particularly common after wet springs. I had it on a vine I planted in my place in Greece as I didn't want it to infect my mature vines I pulled it up and burnt it my neighbour then treated the mature vine with copper sulphate ( I think). All this was frankly a bit over the top. I can't remember what the treatment is now but I'm sure a google search on the wine sites will give the cure. It's a fungal infection which is transmitted by wind and insects so you will need to treat the other vines as well. Certain types are more susceptible than others. I am in no way an expert but I would act quickly.

--------------------------------------------
"If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Just had a looksee at black spot (anthracnose) & looking again at the little dots on your leaves it could well be. It can also distort the leaves. There's nothing you can do now but next spring, it might be a good idea to start treating all 3 vines with a specific fungicide. especially as it doesn't look too far advanced & you won't be eating grapes for another few years yet. Don't forget the mildew either. Always clear away dead fallen leaves & burn or bin them, don't put them on the compost heap.
There's a lot of work & worry in growing grape vines but when it all comes together,............yummy :D
DSCF7791.jpg

Well spotted Gaudette, no pun intended.:)

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
Thanks to all - will get some appropriate fungicide and treat all 3 as suggested.

Might not have had grapes yet, but did stuff a few leaves with brie and crushed almonds and black pepper and did them on the BBQ - yum!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE