Should a log splitter be as sharp as an axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you mean a maul Matt then no, a very keen edge is disadvantageous. The weight alone will do most of the work. However a maul under about a 6lb head weight starts to lack mechanical power so a keener edge is required to alow it to penetrate not bounce

Red

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Yep, I use a 6lb maul for splitting the logs to feed to Rayburn and don't worry at all about how shap it is, as British red says the trick is to let the weight of the maul do all the work.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I have a modern french hammer-maul which is about 4 pound. It is quite "sharp" and it works usually, but no better than my other splitting axe (french antique) which is lighter, and blunt as my #### it alledgedly had steep secondary bevels (at one time) :D . If the wood is tight with knots etc I'd rather the axe bounce out thangrab with a sharp edge and be a pain to have to remove (or do the slap down until it eventualley gives, waste of energy IMHO) if it get's stuck. I find if you try to "split" with a sharp edge the edge will try to cut through any fibres in it's way rather than just part them in one, and it takes more effort to shave your way through:lmao: Plus the axe need's to be fat-wedge shaped not slim profile like a chopping or felling axe. And aa sharp sharp edge wont stay that way for long spliting logs in any case (grit/mud etc on end grain) Keep the sharp sharp one for shaping and trimming, the blunt sharp one for splitting:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE