Short trip to Loch Trool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I have been planning a 2 night trip with my two girls to Scotland for a while with my new lavvu and stove. After a brief Q ad A on here and thanks to Barn Owls confirmation of location, I picked Loch Trool in the Galloway Forest as it was closest location, only a 4 hour drive from Leeds! I had planned it for the weekend before Christmas but due to the severe weather forecast I postponed the trip to the following weekend. That didn't work out either, so after another check of the weather, I left on New Years Eve.

We left Leeds that morning at 10am, and after 4 hours listening to the kids making up guessing games, and taking part, we arrived at Loch Trool. Now when we arrived I had hoped to park next to where I could camp, but the road was too much pot holed for my car, so I had to carry ALL our gear over 4 trips from the car park.

After a couple of hours, we were finally squared away and enjoying the warmth of the stove, had tea, and settled down for the night. Now during the night there was a very heavy period of rain that sounded like a thousand tap dancers on a tin roof, that woke two of us up; that was the point we discovered the dog had escaped. So armed with the waterproofs I prepared to just pop out and find her, unzipped the tent and a very sorrowful and wet spaniel creeped back in. After a few weird dreams and a few toilet visits the morning came around and breakfast prepared. The forecast was clear until lunchtime, which was to be followed by wind and rain, so I got on with gathering wood. I hadn't time the day before to wood gather, but I had brought some of them eco log things with me for that eventuality, and used them during the night.

Wood gathered, it was time to replenish the water supply. That was easy, collect from the stream from the side of the camp and filtered. Now Barn Owl had told me another forum member was working on a house nearby and that he had two labs, if that was you who waved when you walked past on the other side of the burn 'Hi'.

Now, this was when things started to change. The rain arrived with very gusty wind, I was getting uneasy that the wind might cause us problems during the night, as the tent pegs weren't holding in the sodden ground very well. Having talked with the kids we decided to pack and leave a day early. I believe I made the right choice as the rain was incessant and I was soaked, even through my waterproofs, and if the kids had become that wet I would have had issues with cold kids. As it happens, the dog had gone swimming in her coat, and because all her towels and coats were wet we couldn't dry her properly and she was shivering, another reason that made the decision to come home more sensible. By the time I had finished packing, the camping area was heavily waterlogged and ankle deep in water.

So apologies to Barn Owl, who I did say I would let him know when I was going as he might have called in, but I didn't because I knew my plans might change and I didn't want him going on a wild goose chase if I'd left early; which I did.

Any way a few piccys, that don't seem to be in any order.

P1010119.jpgPC310116.jpgPC310112.jpgPC310108.jpgPC310106.jpgPC310105.jpgPC310104.jpgPC310103.jpgPC310102.jpgPC310101.jpgPC310098.jpgPC310097.jpgPC310096.jpgPC310117.jpg

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
A damp dog there lol, sorry the weather caused problems on what could have been a great trip, better weather next time and this trip will be forgotten, thanks for sharing.

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
Thanks for sharing, looks like you had a good time though, everyone is full of smiles. I see you're in Leeds as well. We might have to arrange a meet up as our kids look to be around the same age and it might be extra motivation as well as educational to have someone of a similar age to bounce ideas off. I have a thread in this forum as well, with pics of our local getaway, give it a once over and then shoot me a pm if you fancy taking us up on the offer.

Mike

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Pity about this awful weather,hope you could see how good a place it would be in calm, dry conditions.

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
Looks to me like a good time was had by all ,brings back loads of memories taking my girls out in the beginning all dressed in their pink but watch it because as they get older they will want more subdued clothing . How did you find having so much heat in the tent? it definitely adds comfort to days when the weather is not very kind.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Thanks for the comments.

It is a lovely place and I will go again before midge season creeps in. It was more my failings in being prepared more with better tent pegs and towels for the dog that cut the trip short.

Ferg, I have seen your thread, you have done a grand job. No probs with getting together sometime.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What a shame the weather has been so incredibly wet, even for us.

Good on you for getting the girls out there, and especially so late on in the year. I think you were very wise to make the decision to clear up and go early; sometimes having travelled and set up folks really do take the reluctant step too late.
It's a lovely site, and well worth coming back up to when it's not so sodden wet.

Thank you for the report and the photos :D

cheers,
Toddy

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Sounds like you had good time despite the rain. I had a trip up to Loch Trool in Easter and we had to head home early due to terrible weather too. I'd love to get back up there with some nice weather its a beautiful place.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE