Short Three Quarter (3/4) Length Sleeping Mats

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
In a bid to shed some pack weight I'm thinking of a three quarter sleeping mat. I've got a Thermalite Comfort which weighs it at around 1300g. I'm considering an Alpkit Base 120 which weighs only 520g. Obviously, that's a reasonably significant saving, but how effective are the shorties?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I use a short mat all the time, and have no issues at all. The idea is that so long as your torso is insulated you are warm. In cold conditions I just stick my rucksack under my legs for a bit of extra insulation.

Go for it.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Wow, that's light, but only 8mm thick. How comfortable are they?

Not got that exact one but one similar and i find them fine to sleep on ,but then i have only ever use roll mats so i am used to them , they are cheap as chips so give one a try and see, you can pick ones up for under a tenner if you shop about with the same spec as the one i mentioned

Jason

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have a wee airic too and can recommend it. I don't find it any less comfortable than full length mats of the same type/thickness. The important thing is to have your torso insulated and supported.

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
1300g is a heavy load. I use two mats. A Therm-A-Rest Prolite Small (119cm) and a thin Evazote mat. The Evazote mat is placed under the tentfloor to avoid puncture, the Therm-A-Rest inside the tent. About 750g alltogether.

WeThePeoplexfbm

Settler
Dec 27, 2010
Australlia- NSW.
i never use sleeping bags, when i go camping in winter, hit around -6 at night plus a wind chill makes it about 9ish, but i dig fox hole then tarp over the top and little fire ^^ keep me warm all night

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Technically, it's a 2/3 length mat. The full size is 1800mm and the shorty is 1200mm.

I used the word short in the title to make it easier for people to find what they're looking for when they search. I find frequently, when I enter a search string, the list of results returned bears little relevance to what I'm actually looking for.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE