Shooting rabbits with shotgun?

a1993h

Oct 27, 2010
Ireland
I'm getting my gun lisence soon and I'll be using my grandads shotgun. Just wondering if its ok to shoot rabbit with a shotgun or would it just destroy it and blow it to pieces. My areas crowded with them. I'd like to keep the pelts too for traditional hats, pouches etc.

Cheers, Andy.

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Perfectly OK - especially if they're on the run. You can practice with clay rabbits (like clay pigeon). Not as much "sport" as stalking with a rifle perhaps but an effective means of pest control. Hides will be a bit damaged, mind

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Depends on the bore of the shotgun, the choke, the load and the range.

Short answer, its fine for meat but is likely to make multiple holes in the pelt. A 12 bore at close range using a warm load will make a right old mess of brother brer. A 28 bore at 25 yards with an open choke will knock it down, a .410 at fifty yards will just wound it if that (most likely in all cases anyway)

A rifle is better if you really want to tan the pelts, but a shotgun gives you a better chance on a moving target.

Your call

Red

huffhuff

Forager
Sep 20, 2010
Hitchin, Hertfordshire
...and obviously you'll have land owners permission and follow the required legalities and as always, common sense prevails ;)

...and if you get in quick, it's harvest time. Prime bunny fun with a shotgun!

Welshwizard

Forager
Aug 11, 2011
Abergavenny Wales
It depends on what choke your shotgun is as well as the gauge , cartridge and range your shooting at (as Britishred) you really need to check your pattern out at different ranges , on running rabbits I use a 12 with 3/4 choke and 2 3/4 inch 5 or 6 shot , If I,m lamping without my whippet I use a .22 rimfire (approved land ) or .22 pcp air rifle .

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Where I grew up in Pennsylvania the law was shotgun only for hunting. We never had a problem with the 12 ga tearing them up too bad. It's like any other game animal caught in a pattern of shot. They only get hit with a few pellets. We used the 12 ga for everything from dove to deer.

Bushy Crafter

Sep 11, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
In the Netherlands I've always attended hunts with shotguns. Yes the pelt will have a few holes in it and it can be a tedious job getting the pellets out (Especially if you hit them close range) but the meat always stayed intact. On a moving target the odds just improve not only on actually hitting the target, but also on the kill being fatal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE