Shooting on my own for the first time (Clay Pigeon)

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Got the morning to myself tomorrow so I'm going down to the local clay pigeon site. Whilst I have done this before this will be the first time on my own:eek::eek::eek:

Have never used a shotgun on my own or bought ammunition either so I'm a little nervous as will have to do both, I know what am doing but it still feels a little odd.

Anyone else remember there first time on there own with a firearm?

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
ask some one at the shoot to show you the ropes ,you`ll be right -just keep the gun broken at all times your not shootin -safety first and all that :)

First time at this new clay ground years ago -I had a try of a pump action from someone -and managed to get me thumb stuck in the magazine whilst reloading ::rolleyes::eek: Gave everyone a chuckle at the time !!!!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh yeah, nice little side by side 12g, quiet monday morning in a lovely rural setting.

I walked up to the bank counter, slipped it from under my coat....

Hang on, no it wasn't me, I never did nuffink, you'll never prove it copper.
:tapedshut

No seriously would never do anything illegal, have fun tomorrow Resnikov.

fenix

Forager
Jul 8, 2008
Kent
Have fun, thats the main thing.

When I used to live with my parents the rough shoot was a 10 minute cycle away, would put the terrier in the basket on front of my mums bike, shotgun slip over my shoulder and cycle down the shoot. Mainly to check fox traps, but sometimes to flight duck and geese.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hit about 45 - 50% so not very good today :(
Didn't have any gloves with me :banghead: so after the first 25 I could not feel my hands, luckily they have a shop on site so £30:yikes: later I had warm hands. Didn't improve my hit rate though.

I did find shooting on our own, it goes quite quickly and I prefer shooting with others.

Still enjoyed myself and looking forward to next weekend when I'm going again but this time with my better half.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I find most shooters really helpful. If trying a new discipline I find now that I am old, I just throw myself on the mercy of the locals :eek:. Kind of

"I have never done this before" (or shot here before or whatever) "can I ask for some tips please?"

People are great then. I do love to try stuff though - an admiring glance and a polite question seems to always bring out the best in people. I have been invited to try a rifle carried at Waterloo, a Purdey shotgun, a couple of double boar rifles, all sorts of fascinating stuff. I always reciprocate too....(other than the one gun I cannot legally lend people which I explain to them). Its a very social and friendly sport I find if you "break the ice".

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Section one high capacity shotgun (also long barrel pistol). Not I think because you shouldn't, but when they phrased the law on lending such things they were omitted by mistake (high cap shotguns) or because they hadn't really been dreamed up (LBP). Kind of a reverse loophole that is very annoying.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
First time on my own was when I was about 11 I think. I remember for sure that it was a single shot 410 on my Grandmother's farm.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE