Shirt and blanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Today I had a belated Xmas prezzie... a wool shirt made in real Welsh Wool Flannel from a mill near me. The shirt is a lightweight Sawnni clone to a pattern I cut myself to fit me - and I know the all up price was just under £50 as I had to use my credit card to pay for it....
I also found a pure Merino wool blanket - double bed size - in mustard yellow in a charity shop for just - wait for it - Four Quid!001.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I like that John, a good deep zip and mahoosive pockets

So you bought the wool, cut the pattern and somebody else put it together for you?

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Very nice indeed. I really need to get my bum in gear and start hunting the charity shops for blankets! I still fancy having a go at the Toddy shirt.

All the best
Andy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I like that John, a good deep zip and mahoosive pockets

So you bought the wool, cut the pattern and somebody else put it together for you?

Not quite - I had made the pattern and had in the past made shirts to the pattern ... from Merino blankets bought for a song in charity shops.
This time I commissioned a shirt to be made at the mill and supplied them with my pattern and one of the blanket shirts as a model. They wove and fulled and dressed the wool, then made me my shirt. It was meant to be an Xmas prezzie - but a couple of tragic deaths amongst the staff and their families meant that it ended up being delayed by 6 months.
However the shirt is fantastic quality and should last longer than I do and at a cracking price!
They produce the wool and shirts for some big names, designer fabrics etc but also produce their own designs as well. You can go into the mill and watch the wool being woven etc, buy precut lengths of wool or off the roll but they only have for sale what they have for sale at any one time. The wool I wanted had been woven and the hold ups came "post weaving".
They have a basic website - www.melinteifi.com - and are worth chatting to if you have personal needs :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not quite - I had made the pattern and had in the past made shirts to the pattern ... from Merino blankets bought for a song in charity shops.
This time I commissioned a shirt to be made at the mill and supplied them with my pattern and one of the blanket shirts as a model. They wove and fulled and dressed the wool, then made me my shirt. It was meant to be an Xmas prezzie - but a couple of tragic deaths amongst the staff and their families meant that it ended up being delayed by 6 months.
However the shirt is fantastic quality and should last longer than I do and at a cracking price!
They produce the wool and shirts for some big names, designer fabrics etc but also produce their own designs as well. You can go into the mill and watch the wool being woven etc, buy precut lengths of wool or off the roll but they only have for sale what they have for sale at any one time. The wool I wanted had been woven and the hold ups came "post weaving".
They have a basic website - www.melinteifi.com - and are worth chatting to if you have personal needs :)

Very nice mate, unique too

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Da iawn! I've been to Melin Teifi - good place. I also have one of their wool shirts which I found in a charity shop. The wool is soft and thick with a lovely nap. Yours looks the business John.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I like it John, nice to have home made kit.
Most of my kit is home made :)
On what I earn etc etc etc....
In truth I can go out for a weekend with only gear I have made
Tarp, blanket sleeping bag, clothing, had, shoes, belts, knives, axe (ok I did not forge the head) saw (same with blade), stove, billies, bowl, fork, spoon, mug, pack, hammock, flint and steel etc etc etc
DIY/MYO is great fun! I even have books for sale on how to make most of it :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Da iawn! I've been to Melin Teifi - good place. I also have one of their wool shirts which I found in a charity shop. The wool is soft and thick with a lovely nap. Yours looks the business John.

Next time you are in the area give me a call!
The mill does various weights of wool - this shirt is about the lightest and I am wearing it right now (over a bamboo T shirt) and not getting overheated.
Wool is great year round - not just for winter :)

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
super nice again.
Cool those big pocket, so it will fit some gear.
Love my own Swanndri, there a not so popular around here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE