Shields..........?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Any of you re-enactement types have shields?

I think some of them look lovely frankly. A short of history of Shields HERE

Do any of you have any? Round ones, Square ones, large, small....

What do you make them out of?

Are they historically correct for the period?

Whats the best shield today?

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
Any of you re-enactement types have shields?

I think some of them look lovely frankly. A short of history of Shields HERE

Do any of you have any? Round ones, Square ones, large, small....

What do you make them out of?

Are they historically correct for the period?

Whats the best shield today?

I remember in my early days, charging a West Saxon shield wall and came up against this big fyrdman named Eofor ('The Boar'). When I came to, I was wearing the shield rim round my neck, and looking up at the sky through the parted boards. Oh, and still gripping the boss in my left hand :)

The big, Danish round shields were all the rage then (back in the late 9thC). Everybody had them - but not all were as well made as they might have been. Tongued and grooved fitted boards add impact resilience, but poplar or limewood seem to give the best balance of strength and lightness. And if I were to bespeak one now, I'd want an iron rim binding the edges of a thick boiled oxhide covering the boards. And rings riveted either side of the boss between boss and rim so you can attach a belt to sling it round your shoulder as well as take some of the weight when you're using it for sustained periods.

Gave my last one away to a friend's son as a coming-of-age gift the year before last, but I know people who make them. It'd cost you, though.

Does that help?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yes, its all interesting. Some photos would be nice. I wonder if you were making one today, if you would use the same stuff that police use as riot shields?

Maybe not, but there must be some modern materials that surpass wood, and hide? If you were going to design one today. Maybe a bullet proof one from stretched kevlar! :)

People seem to shove the word 'tactical' in front of stuff. A tactical shield, wonder if they've made one yet. Theres those tactical tomahawks, that joel lambert uses for instance.

Last edited:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Not a reenactment type and not exactly tactical, but a friend did make me some armour once and the shield was part of that. A talhoffer buckler
be9e2790f8a1a4065ee1d3eed969c128.jpg

e56d4471633318166a1c0be8fa135b0a.jpg

And I also own a riot shield... Because when someone offers you a set of riot armour its impossible to say no
0eb80c2fb1b91d08fcc4424b299f9152.jpg

Modelled by my brother in law!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE