Shelter thatch

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
As part of my [thread=136432]Sixteen skills in 2016[/thread] Project, I plan to have a go at building a natural shelter. I've been given permission to have a go in some woodland belonging to a friend of a friend. The woodland is chestnut coppice with a small amount of hazel and a few oak standards. Classic Kentish woodland. My basic thinking is to make a either a half circular tinker tent style shelter, or a basic lean to. Either way, with a fire pit in front of it with a reflector behind the firepit.

I can't work out what materials to thatch it with. Chestnut leaves rot down rather rapidly, so there isn't enough to make a debris shelter. There's no bracken on the site, the main undergrowth being brambles. In theory I could use chestnut leaves/boughs, but I don't really want to defoliate half a forest just to make a shelter. I'm running out of ideas.

Can anyone suggest materials that might work for thatching a natural shelter?

Cheers.

J

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Is there a meadow ? if so, then the flush of grass as it reaches for the Sun makes good 'tufts' and those weave in over hazel purlins very well indeed.

We worked one site with 50 kids for a five day week. We ended up making large triangular willow panel frames (hazel would do fine, especially copiced stuff, it splits well) and lines across them with natural cordage. The kids just wove in everything they could gather to fill in the panels. We lashed them together and the result was very stable. The weaving would easily support rather crumbly leaf litter, especially if there were grasses available. The stripped bark from willow and hazel rods would do for any lashing or the lines across.

There's no one way that's absolutely suitable for every site, but it's fun being creative :D

M

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
If it is just for the self satisfaction of knowing you can do it (which for me at least is my mine aim) then try just covering 25% of the roof with natural thatch, it proves to yourself that you could do it all if you HAD TO but doesn't waste or use up natural resources, to me that is not cheating just being sensible and considerate of your surroundings.

DB

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If all else fails, roofing with turf is remarkably effective - again - depends on how forgiving the permission is!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Instead of cut grass have you thought about a turf/sod roof? Slightly heavier but with good supports, weather proof and a good insulater.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE