Sheila wont give up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Dads friend has had several strokes and has difficulties in getting around.

But she likes her adventures...

Sheila has set her sights on Lapland...Reindeer and all.

(and the dogsled...Dont forget the dogs)

Dad is her slightly appalled carer when on holiday. (Dad is not the adventurous type)

Any how, he now needs advice for someone who can walk a bit, but is mostly in a wheelchair. How to dress someone who needs a bit of help. (we have all ready decided moonboots which is what we would wear in such conditions would not do with her stability issues)

What do people who live in such places do in winter?

And planning further, is there a tour company that caters for the adventurous but severely disabled???

Reactions: Arya

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I think we need one, or more, of our Scandinavian members to see this thread.

Dress wise just think winter layers and then some! A wheelchair user is more static and therefore will definately need a higher level of insulation. I know you can get leg covers for wheelchair users, a winter rated sleeping bag would probably be better. A decent hat and decent gloves or mitts will be a must.

I hope Sheila and your dad have a great time.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
In a dogsled being a wheelchair user is no different to you or I, we're all just tucked in with lots of blankets, I don't see why the same approach wouldn't work in a wheelchair. Warm boots (maybe down booties or similar) normal clothes (layers of wool and fleece, down/lofting synthetics don't work well when they're sat on) warm hats, blankets......plenty of protein rich food to generate heat.

Also: let me get back to you about a travel company, I have a friend who might know something.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thanks guys, I knew you lot wouldnt throw your hands up in horror at Sheilas ideas.

Her main hurdle, of course, is travel insurance...

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Cheap heated clothing such as a waistcoat might be a good back up.
Otherwise advice as above but don't forget to insulate the seat and back of the wheelchair

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
I would advice to wear a thick winter coverall, something similar that snowmobilers use. At least that is what I would want to wear if I would have to sit alot outside in Lapland.
Another option would be to sit inside a sleeping bag.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Very good.

My fathers main concern is using a wheelchair in the snow. (Since he will be the motive power unit.)

I take it you can get snow chains/winter tyres?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE