Sheffield

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
Hi there chaps.

I'm going up to Sheffield tomorrow for the BB meet, and her indoors has promised to drive me there if I can find us somewhere nice to go for a walk beforehand. I see that Sheffield is right next door to the peak district, so hopefuly someone will have some local knowledge and can point me to somewhere nice :D

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
you could go to the common near me . It's the same side of town as the fat cat and handy. Other then that you could go down to rivelin vallay (also near me). a bit further along you have beeley woods and the warncliffe side.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Sheffield aint that big, go out west on the Manchester, Beely, Baslow or any other road in that sort of direction and you will be in the second most popular national park in the world in about half an hour. I live on the southern edge of the peak park and can be in Sheffield centre in under an hour so you have bretty much the whole east of the peak in easy morning walk distance, everything from Chatsworth House to high moors.
Cheers
David

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
Nice one guys! :D

I'll present those options to SWMBO tonight - I'm sure one of them will get the green light. :cool:

Shiny things here I come! :) :)

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
Depends what kinds of things there are, really... If there's a decent sized secluded wood then it doesn't need to be very big, because we can entertain ourselves pottering about looking at birds and things. If not, then a good couple of hours walk with some hills.

Basically we're planning on heading down to Sheffield early (depending on SWMBO :rolleyes: ) and getting some fresh air before the pub. It looks like it might be sunny tomorrow, so that's another vote for a wood rather than cross-country.

I had a butcher's at Beeley wood, and it looks nice on the map... :) How quiet is it usually? If it's dense and quiet, then it'd do nicely.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
beeley woods is quiet. Not large and is muddy but you can get round the muddy bits on foot. at one end is a hill that takes you into warncliffe side which is also nice and cool in the this hot weather. There are some paths that you should avoid using there though as the are downhill bike runs. Often there is a near by path that the bikers walk up.
Are you goig to the fat cat for a nice pub lunch?

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
Nice pub lunch you say? :D Now there's a good idea.

I imagine we'll turn up at about ten-ish, have a nice potter 'round the woods, then head for the pub about noon for a lunch and some sharp things :)

I take it the Fat Cat serves good food? Maybe even real cider?

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
Ooh yeah, looks like good grub. I reckon that good veggie food is the best test of a good restaurant - making nice steak isn't too hard, but making a nice veggie pie demands real cooking skill.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE