Sheath needs filling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
I've recently acquired an olive green Arktis knife sheath (freebie from a friend). I think it's designed for the MOD survival knife i.e. about a 7inch blade but having never seen or handled one was wondering if this was the wisest choice. I currently use my trusty Frosts Mora but unfortunately this blade is too short and the knife comes loose quite easily.

Ok ........ I admit it ....... I'm just using the sheath as an excuse to buy another knife! ;)

So the question is what I should get to fill the sheath? MOD knife ....... is it any good ...... does anyone have one? or is there a better alternative ............ Fällkniven maybe? Opinions please! :)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Don't all sheath knives come with a sheath already?
Might be an idea for you (or someone) to make a knife to fit the sheath. :D

Wrong way round I know but.....

Cheers

mark

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Buckshot said:
Don't all sheath knives come with a sheath already?
Might be an idea for you (or someone) to make a knife to fit the sheath. :D

Wrong way round I know but.....

Cheers

mark

You're right its all the wrong way round! :D

Interesting probelm though.

The knife does normally come with the sheath ...... my chum is keeping the knife to make his own leather sheath so he gave me the fabric one. He's doing it the right way round!

I did think about getting a knife made but having never designed one before I wouldn't know who to go too or how to go about designing one ........ it's pretty expensive too isn't it?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Have a look on British Blades, there are loads of makers there that can do you something very resonably I'm sure.

Cheers

mark

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I got one for my MOD knife. The straps at the top doesn't clip around the handle as it is actually to fix the sheath onto Arktis webbing securely... The webbing strap that is longer at the handguard, is to 'secure' the knife but mine is a little loose. So I bought some LBE bands-you know, those green elastic loops for securing kit to webbing etc- and stitched the small one onto the top of the sheath. This was obviously styled on the Fairbairn Sykes idea. This can be pulled up over the top of the handle, and then holds it quite securely in place, without being over tight. It is easy to release as well as being silent, unlike poppers or velcro. The pouch can hold a Leatherman, SAK, sharp stone, dead mouse etc. The knife itself is a nice heavy blade, that looks and feels pretty indestructible. I use it as a heavy duty chopper, and if held at the pommel can be used like a mini axe, using the weight for swing. I have no problems chopping wood with it. I prefer the black handle version with the dark blade which appears Parkerised. Not bad for about £40. The knife usually comes with the leather sheath, but http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/ flog it with the Arktis sheath as well for a coupla quid more. Not bad considering most place charge about £20 for the sheath alone...

bp1974

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
London
This is my first post, so hello to all. I've lurked for a couple of weeks, reading the various threads and gotten a lot of good information. It's nice to see such an active bushcraft community growing in the UK.

To the question - I've had an MOD knife for 10 years now and it's still going strong. It's not the prettiest nor does it hold a fantastic edge, so it's not for delicate work, but as a work tool it's great for chopping large branches up, splitting bamboo, splitting lumps of wood etc. It's essentially a handheld axe with a reasonably sharp but broad edge and a good point. I confess I'm guilty of not keeping mine in the best nick and it still works wonders.

I've used both it and a parang at the same time, and althought the parang is a better blade, I favour the MOD knife because it's more compact and heavier for it's size.

If you want one, don't get it for making shavings or carving a spoon - it'll be useless. Get it for dressing branches, lopping saplings and the like.

I have the leather sheath that came with it - I wanted the Arktis one but it was almost the same price as the knife and I was skint at the time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE