Sheath / holster for a hook / crook / spoon carving knife - Simple, cheap and quick !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dobloz

Jan 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Hi all,

Thought i'd share a quick, cheap and easy way to keep a Mora 164, hook, crook, spoon carving knife safe.
Not sure whether to call it a sheath or a holster.
I'm sure someone will explain and advise me on the right terminology... :p

i've seen the lovely leather covers and the carved wood sheaths, even a duct tape version... :approve:
yet they all left me wanting something different, and cheaper...
well, the duct tape one *is* cheaper i suppose...

Anyway, here it is, for what it's worth...

First get, buy, borrow, a curvy knife.

Add to it a cheap (99p Ebay - unless you've already got one etc) torch holster.
(Black 17.5CM Nylon Belt Holster Cover Pouch for UltraFire LED Flashlight Torch or similar)

Finally, a (used, preferably empty!) tube of the right size...

Making a Sheath for Mora 164 hook, crook spoon knife 1 by ukflood2, on Flickr

Cut the tube to size -

Making a Sheath for Mora 164 hook, crook spoon knife 2 by ukflood2, on Flickr

Open the tube (clean out first, unless you want it creamy!) and insert knife...

Making a Sheath for Mora 164 hook, crook spoon knife 3 by ukflood2, on Flickr

wrap tube around knife to desired diameter

Making a Sheath for Mora 164 hook, crook spoon knife 4 by ukflood2, on Flickr

glue the tube, although if you are in a hurry, skip this step!

Making a Sheath for Mora 164 hook, crook spoon knife 5 by ukflood2, on Flickr

check dimensions, trim to desired length and check fit.

Making a Sheath for Mora 164 hook, crook spoon knife 6 by ukflood2, on Flickr

insert tube into flashlight case

Making a Sheath for Mora 164 hook, crook spoon knife 7 by ukflood2, on Flickr

check fit and adjust.
You could cover the tube with black or green tape, if you want the stealth look!

Making a Sheath for Mora 164 hook, crook spoon knife 8 by ukflood2, on Flickr

secure with flap

Making a Sheath for Mora 164 hook, crook spoon knife 9 by ukflood2, on Flickr

Done!
99p and recycled tube to boot!
The slippery nature of the Aveeno tube is perfect in allowing the curved and sharp blade to glide in and out without snagging...!

Making a Sheath for Mora 164 hook, crook spoon knife 10 by ukflood2, on Flickr

There we have it!

El cheapo solution!

No more snagging in the pocket, hooking into flesh!

Safe and sound :)

Thanks for looking!

Any questions ...:theyareon

austin

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
LOL, wicked reply mate, well done :D :D :D

As it happens, I had already had an idea similar to this but not for a knife. Quality Street this Christmas (from Tesco anyways) comes in a plastic hexagonal box - yes, I have already emptied one... Purely for research purposes, of course ;) - and was going to use a hot air gun and some of the sides to craft some rubbing bands for the paddle when I get my new kayak. Just to take up any wear as I get used to paddling it. When I am not peddling it that is. Seeing your idea though made me wonder just how close to a kydex sort of sheath liner a person could make using heavy gauge rigid plastic.
And having just turned the box over to get the "type" of recyclable plastic its made of, I am confronted by the recycle symbol and the word "foil" !?!?!?

Dobloz

Jan 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
"Curses, 'foiled' again..." that was terrible, sorry ! Anyway, on with the thread...

Although the idea of eating through a whole box of Quality Street *just* in the interests of *cough* 'research' appeals...
me thinks perhaps i'd better 'knot' ,
else paddling mi own canoe would get that much 'arder :canoe:

Have you thought of using the amazing 'paracord' ?
If you have any odds and ends lying about the place, or if you have other similar type cord/plastic rope (found on the beach etc...)
then you could wrap and 'weld' it into a cover with some heat?

A butter knife / hot air gun can be put to good effect for *carefully* melting the cord?
Just a thought...

Let us know how you sort it!

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Sorry?? Yeah right. You enjoyed that pun no end, lol.

My little boat will have a hard enough time not buckling and sinking as it is, so I suppose it might be unwise to empty a second box. You know, just in case I "may" need it ;)

Nope, I hadn't thought of paracord. But if I did use it, then I would like just whip the stuff on the paddle areas in question. That way it would be easily removed - and possibly reused - after I have acclimated myself to the extra width compared to the one I have been learning on (extra seating too, rather than what seems little more than a weight lifting belt made of webbing). Seems so alien to me to be deliberately trying to melt rope. I am usually the one looking after and taking care of the stuff! That said, I can see how it would / could be a very useful thing on a boat of any size really. Hang on, the local wharf has loads of lorries go there every day for truck driver to load up on flat-beds. They usually carry tons of cheap polypropylene rope......

Once I have passed the relative levels of learning that I wish to go to, I will make the suggestion that they seriously reduce the number of members in the water at any one time, when learning in the pool, as there isn't the room to accommodate that many boats. Notice I say "after" I have gotten to the level I am happy with :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE