Sheath For my Neck Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Made myself a sheath to go with the neck knife ive just made for myself, see this thread, ive made the sheath in the Scandi style as it seem the appropriate thing to do, the sheath itself is made from veg tan leather that has been wet formed around the blade and sewn up with waxed linen thread, ive not dyed the sheath, just sealed it and added a coat of clear wax, i was going to hot wax it, but ive run out of beeswax:(

DSCN2701bw.jpg

DSCN2699bw.jpg

DSCN2707bw.jpg

DSCN2726bw.jpg

DSCN2729bw.jpg

the knife goes in to the sheath with a resounding click, while i was there i thought id made a couple more for my Mora carving knives:)

DSCN2711bw.jpg

Might make a better one tomorrow, unless it snows of course, in which case im going out for the day:)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
They look quite good. I have to say that half tanned leather is much better for a scandi sheath. Good to know they have the click.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers guys.

@ MB - approx 1.5mm, it's not ideal, but it will do until i get some slightly thicker stuff in, just have to be a bit careful with it for the time being

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
thats a bit thin bud, for that type of sheath, i would be carefull when putting the knife in mate, as one wrong entry and its back to the drawing board.
they look great tho, i love doung the scandi sheaths its a break from what i normally mate.
take care.
lee.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Like i said Lee, it will do until i get some thicker stuff in and way better than leaving an unsheathed razor sharp blade laying around

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Like i said Lee, it will do until i get some thicker stuff in and way better than leaving an unsheathed razor sharp blade laying around
you are right with that mate, and will look great as soon, as you have beefed it up bud.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
thanks for the input chaps, the new sheath is already made from 3mm veg tan that i skived down to about 2.5mm, it formed wonderfully and has taken the wet forming well, despite being made full tanned leather, i dont want / need anything fancy, just something functional, so didnt see the point of buying in leather for the sake of one sheath when i have two or three shoulders of veg tan sitting here, not to mention numerous straps in different lengths and thicknesses, the new one will be finished tomorrow, will post pics when done.

The ones i made earlier from thinner leather will have a blade protector inserted at some point, i just have to carve them first, mind you the sheath i have here from a Saami/Finnish friend of mine is about the same thickness as the ones i made earlier and has no blade protector in it, think he made it from Reindeer hide.

Ive not made a scandi style sheath for many years, it's made a pleasant change to make something different for a change.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE