Sheath for 300m Silky saw

Gailainne

Life Member
I broke my folding saw while down at the BCUK moot earlier this year so bought a Silky (Hiya Addo) as a replacement (same teeth profile as the old one) which I far prefer to the one RM likes. Anyway I got a bit carried away :eek: when I ordered it and got the 300mm Gomboy, it does'nt sound a lot till you realise the handle is also 300mm :(, its a beast, if it was gonna hang off my belt it needed taming, so this is what I came up with.
CIMG0009.jpg

I had to reverse it, but I used the locking trigger to help lock it also into the sheath, so it worked out
CIMG0010.jpg

Detail of the dangler, cheers lawrence, and my group buy stamp
CIMG0011.jpg

Close up of the "Round braid edge lacing" from Bruce Grants book, it is'nt difficult, just time consuming, took me about 3 hours to do this, couple of beginners mistakes in there too.
CIMG0012.jpg

Back of the sheath, I just noticed the colour difference, the double loop has'nt been coated yet.
CIMG0013.jpg

This is my third sheath and first go at braiding, I am well and truly hooked, I've been looking at Le Provos clearance area as well as thonging, btw always order 3 or 4 times what you think you will need with lace, it runs out real fast.

Regards

Stephen

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
WOW fella thats really nice, the edging looks really good and the stamp works well too. Spot on.

Simon.

Gailainne

Life Member
Soar, (Ironic name atm btw) Hope your comfortable, cheers for that, the tuts here and on BB really helped me a lot, get stuck in with yours, but be warned its very addictive, my worry is when I run out of knifes to sheath, I might end up buying more :eek:

Regards

Stephen

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Tell me about it I made a change purse for my father in law today as he liked the pouch that I made for my wifes Birthday, I have made a sheath for every knife I own myself. It means I also shall have to invest in something new and shinny.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Top Job Stephen, nice work mate. I know what you mean about time consuming, it took me agaes to do my Native American sheath. If you carry on with leatherwork this good, you'll be able to make yourself another Akubra since you lost yours at Cardiff Airport this year! Are you happy with your silky then? How's about a review for those of us in the market for a saw? BTW, did you sell your Vauxhall?

Gailainne

Life Member
Jed

Cheers mate, I actually ordered another Akubra from OZ, it would be bloody heavy in 3mm veg tan anyway :eek:

I have'nt really used the silky in anger yet, this weekend should give it a good work out tho, if I can find any dry wood that is :rolleyes:

Still got the VX, poor thing wil be groaning with all the crap I will probably take.

Stephen

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Very nice job I like it a lot.:D

Another idea for a sheath to make the two knives (and so sheaths) on the go already.
Alf

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE