sheath: commercial, custom or homebrew?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I'm looking at sorting out a new sheath to replace the disappointing bit of kit that came with my SOG Northwest ranger 2.0

the problem I have, is deciding which way to jump on the options of either acquiring a commercial sheath, a custom made sheath or trying my hand at leather-working, and making my own sheath.

the commercial sheath would be the cheapest option, and the simplest, but the only model I can find in the UK are designed for the MOD survival knife, which I'm not sure will work.

getting a custom sheath would be great, but I'm not convinced about sending the knife off to get it done, and my ideal sheath design isn't the classic design most UK makers tend to go for, which could prove an issue.

finally, I could go it alone. which seems to be the best option (guaranteed fit, no sending the knife off) but I have no leather-working experience, and so by the time I've bought the tools, fittings and leather to do the job, plus a couple of practices, things start getting expensive, especially when I don't intend to continue leather-working in the future (so most of the tools etc. would go then just become more clutter)

does anyone know of a better sheath? (or if the Northwest ranger will fit in the MOD after-market nylon jobbies)
and does anyone have any advice on which way to jump?

Last edited:

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
hi mate, I'm intrigued, when you say not the most classic design most makers make, most leather workers, will make what you ask for, if they are good at what they do, thats the whole point in having a custom sheath made for you, so that you can have it the way you want it, i have a lot of people send me a drawing for what they want, the last thing i made for instance, the two handed cold steel machete, was a lot different to what i would normally do, so i asked him to do a rough drawing of what he wanted, a little correspondence, and he is a happy man now. what kind of design are you looking at? and my ideal sheath design isn't the classic design most UK makers tend to go for, which could prove an issue. what kind of desighn is that then please?

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
hi mate, I'm intrigued, when you say not the most classic design most makers make, most leather workers, will make what you ask for, if they are good at what they do, thats the whole point in having a custom sheath made for you, so that you can have it the way you want it, i have a lot of people send me a drawing for what they want, the last thing i made for instance, the two handed cold steel machete, was a lot different to what i would normally do, so i asked him to do a rough drawing of what he wanted, a little correspondence, and he is a happy man now. what kind of design are you looking at? and my ideal sheath design isn't the classic design most UK makers tend to go for, which could prove an issue. what kind of desighn is that then please?

most of the work from UK makers that I've seen seems to pouch types, which not only encompass the blade, but part of the handle aswell, and use friction as the only retention method. I prefer the types which only cover the blade, and have a strap keeping the knife secure (e.g. this), but my idea would want it to be able to be used in a dangler (drop leg?) type setup.

I don't doubt that many of the makers could make a sheath like that, however what I didn't know (having never really looked into the detail of ordering a custom sheath) is how manny would be willing to go down that route.

either way, it's the sending off of the knife that is giving me the bigger pause for thought.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
there are a number of fantastic leather workers on here that will / can make sheaths in the style you've shown but 100 x better, you can have your own ideas, design, engraving incorperated into it to make it unique.

sending the knife off is not a problem, Royal Mail recorded next day delivery costs a couple of quid and can be insured.

if you need a couple of names to talk to, drop me a PM and i'll help if i can.

( do you have a photo of the knife in question ? )

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
I made this for a chappy a while back. Is it the kind of thing you had in mind? It was deisgned to be able to strap to your thigh if needed.
DSC07901.jpg

DSC07894.jpg

DSC07900.jpg

DSC07898.jpg

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I made this for a chappy a while back. Is it the kind of thing you had in mind? It was deisgned to be able to strap to your thigh if needed.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt89/Joshua_Hemingway/DSC07901.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt89/Joshua_Hemingway/DSC07894.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt89/Joshua_Hemingway/DSC07900.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt89/Joshua_Hemingway/DSC07898.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

that's pretty close to what I'm thinking of, although I was thinking you could put a brass D-ring at the top of the belt loop, and be able to fit a removeable belt loop to drop the knife off your belt line (keeping the handle away from rucksack waist belts ect)

actually, seeing those pictures has given me an idea of how I might be able to make my own without the major cost associated with buying leather. and it would be re-cycling.
just gotta give my local charity shops a visit, and have a look at belts. further research on my part suggests I don't need all the tools I thought I did.....
and I'm in need of a project.

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
Go for it, but be prepared to get very addicted. If you want some advice make a mock up in corrugated cardboard first, and log on to British Blades and check out some of their sheath making tutorials. And don't forget to post up some pictures once it's done.
All the best.

JH

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Just to add another snippet to the mix, like you at one time I would have said that I'd prefer a sheath with some sort of fastening, such as a strap with a stud. After using sheaths with fastenings for many years, I now prefer those without. If they're made to fit the knife properly they're perfectly secure, and in my view they're more convenient. I have a machete which has no less than four press-studs on the sheath, and to be frank it's a royal pain. A couple of times I've had a knife fall out of a sheath with a fastening, but never out of one without. Admittedly I've used sheaths with fastenings a great deal more.

Having said that I have a knife from when I was in the Cubs, fifty years ago, and it had a sheath which had a loop with a press-stud fastener. The sheath went missing (I think mum used it decades ago when she wanted a bit of leather for something) and I've been thinking of getting one made for it. I think I'll have it made with a fastening, just to keep it more or less like it was. The knife is a cheap thing anyway, just sentimental value. It's a Bowie style. Some styles of knife lend themselves more to a style of sheath which has a fastening, and I think the Bowie is one of them as it often has a guard which can make an all-enclosing sheath a bit problematic.

Just offering the observations.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
Some styles of knife lend themselves more to a style of sheath which has a fastening, and I think the Bowie is one of them as it often has a guard which can make an all-enclosing sheath a bit problematic.

I can see what you mean. I personally prefer the strap, simply because to me, it feels more secure. although, of course, I've never had a knife with a properly made friction fit.
in this case though, the knife has a guard on the front edge, so as with your cubs knife, it doesn't really lend itself to a pouch style sheath anyway.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
DSC07894.jpg

what a great looking sheath- makes me want to go and buy a new knife just to get one made :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE