shaving horse

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike Bowler

Dec 31, 2008
Cheshire UK
anyone made there own shaving horse,I have a 4' sycamore log cut down the middle ,What would you use for the legs ? shell I cut down the other half to make the legs.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Hi Mike,

Long time no speak mate?.

I made my own horse mate, for the legs i just used Hazel rounds, works a treat and they were free, ive also got some made from Ash as well for a small bench i was going to make

Bundleman

Forager
Jan 17, 2012
Woodbridge, Suffolk
Depends if you're gonna leave it outside, then I wouldn't use the sycamore.
There's a great description of how to build one in Roy Underhills Woodwrights books.
Have fun.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I made one from some fallen oak - yes it's heavy!
I made the legs from some spiny oak branches
I keep mine under cover but completely out of the weather (lean to) and I lift the legs off the ground by putting a small stone under them when not in use. It stops them sitting in water.

Mark

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
The bodgers shave horses aren't as versatile as the dumb-head version.

Ooooooh, that's fighting talk, that is.

Actually the first post on that thread is a dumb-head shavehorse, and the thread is split about 50/50 between English (aka Bodger's) pattern and dumb-head pattern. There are even a couple of fore-and-aft holding styles for bowl and spoon carving.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE