Sharpening with an angle grinder..any advice?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
If any can help answer a few questions for me I'd be very grateful indeed..

I own a bosche angle grinder and have used it to cut metal parts here and there and I understand a massive variety of disks can be used on them but where do I find sand paper disk/pads to use for sharpening/reprofiling my axes and machetes?

Is it easier to just cut out the shape from a sheet? If so how would I fix it to the disk?

I know the metal cutting disk can be used to sharpen/shape metals but I'd like a working surface simular to a belt sander to prevent excess heat generating during the process and having the option of varibale grades without having to fork out for an actual belt sander.

I hope this makes sense.

I also have a bench grinder but only use that on some gardening machetes (slowly and gentley) and a hanfull of files, the files of course require alot of elbow grease.

Thanks for any help or advice, links to products would also be very usefull!

Cheers guys.

Last edited:

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Will the nut be supplied with the backing pad?

I want to use the angle grinder because the bench grinder I have generates alot heat and I'd like to grind edges onto some blanks without having to buy a belt sander (and not do it with files). I'm not made of money, I need to improvise with what I've got.

What grit would be better for reprofiling (course and medium..) ?

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
AH! so for grinding bevels more than for general sharpening?

Yeah basically, it wouldn't be use to sharpen the edge but to take some meat off the profile.

I intend on reprofiling an axe or two and using files is exhausting.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Seems like the parts I need are quite cheap and with a little practice on some odd bits of steel I can get the hang of going gentle and keeping things nice and cool.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE