sharpening stones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hiya Timmy and welcome to the forum.
I haven't used India stones, but have been through the Oilstones, diamond stones, rod guided, bladetech, and a few other sharpeners.
My most recent is the Spyderco Sharpmaker, and boy does that give results - shaving sharp within minutes ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
India stones are oilstones. My old man has used them for years and IMHO they're better than waterstones ( :BlueTeamE ) I mean I much 'prefer' them to waterstones ;)

I had to recently replace my dad's stone and the box as I discovered it had been nicked.

India oilstones have been around for ages and are a good brand. Alot of my chippy mates have 'em and wouldnt sharpen their chisels on owt else.

Got mine form Axminster Tools, Medium/Fine combination stone & box sub £30

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Ogri the trog said:
Hiya Timmy and welcome to the forum.
I haven't used India stones, but have been through the Oilstones, diamond stones, rod guided, bladetech, and a few other sharpeners.
My most recent is the Spyderco Sharpmaker, and boy does that give results - shaving sharp within minutes ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

Got a link to a spyderco ???

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
spoony said:
Thats blatant advertising, slap on the wrist and 2 hail marys please, :) :p :p Joke
cheers
we can recomend other members.
I do like the sharpmaker but it has limitations. I tend to use ut for kitchen knives but I'd rather have a benchstone for scandi ground knives. Of Course you could get a spyderco benchstone.
I have a Norton oil stone and it gets a very good edge on knives, it's messy to use though :(

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i don't like to use oilstones on any knife that will contact food.
i've also seen sharpmakers fairly cheap on evil-bay. might be worth quick search.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE