Sharpening Stones

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
yes, but it's not worth bothering with. I've come across instructions for making emery wheels in an old book (been looking for it for a while and can't find the blessed thing!). Basically it called for a mixture of abrasive powder (emery) and a resin, I think it was a shellack base. You mix everthing together and cast in a mold. When set you have a grinding or sharpening stone :) You can also do the same with casting rubber to make a rubber abrasive block.

Like so many of these things, you could do it yourself but there are commercially available versions that are usually better and cheaper.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A mate of mine used a natural slate slip stone to finish his pole lathe tools when he was doing reenactment stuff...
He shaped it by gringing it on Old Red Sandstone blocks.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Do you mean like those massive wheels the japenese use for sharpening kitchen type knifes?

I was thinking something smaller like a bench stone maybe finding abit of stone on the beach and working it to be a bench stone!

Totally side tracked but big project like that might be great fun as well!!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
John's pointed out the obvious that I forgot to mention :rolleyes: Lots of natural sharpening or grinding stones out there.

The stones I meant are for home use, so upto a foot across but could be used for any shape or size block you want to cast. The big Japanese things I think are cement or plaster based but the priciple is the same

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Arkansas stone (if you live in Arkansa I guess) varios even gritted sand and gritstones and I have some excellent ones that were harvested on Teddys tours...

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have played with lots of different natural stones. It is interesting and fun, something to look out for when out on walks. What you need is a 4 1/2" grinder with a thin stone cutting disc to square it up and a coarse diamond plate to flatten your new stones on. After a while you get your eye in for the sort of fine textured stones that work. There is a local fine sandstone that works OK and I get nice squared offcuts from a place that saws it up.
Having said all that none of them perform anywhere near as well as a Japanese waterstone so not worth the bother other than for interest or unless you are really skint and have plenty of time.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
The coldax cement is slightly different. Some industries (such as lapidry and old school sheffield cutlers) use hard felt wheels for polishing. The felt wheels have the circumference coated with cement and are then rolled in abrasive powder (aka flour) of different grits. You have different grits and hardness of felt for different polishing and rough sanding purposes. As the flour coating comes off, so you true up the wheel and remove the old cement before applying fresh.

I guess you could try it, its worth a go. I've not played with coated abrasives like that so can't really offer any help aside from teh info I've just passed on :)

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Plenty of suitable slate in Wales, some is better than others of course. Theres a guy on ebay that sells hones he cuts from Welsh slate in many different grits.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
My mate has bought an old house and he found a workshop of the previous owner that dates years and years back. For sharpening his tools he used a flat stone about 2.5 inc wide and 6 inch long and on top he would spray some sand stone dust mixed with water. And that is one of the best natural sharpening systems I have seen, now my mates tools are scary sharp ... scary.. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE