sharpening stone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I use a large double sided waterstone in the workshop. It's too big to carry around, but it is cheap and does a ruddy good job :D

Day to day in the field (if you like) I just rely on my knife being of good enough quality that I don't need to worry about it blunting ;)

Quarryman

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2009
Kernow
The 250 side of my waterstone has become quite undulated, does anyone use a particular surface to re-flatten?

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
the way I true all of mine is to let it dry out completely and find yourself a paving slab (I have one just for that purpose as I'm a mile from the nearest pavement!).

Rub the stone back and forth across the surface until flat :) if it's taking too long or the slab is too smooth just sprinkle some fine dry sand on it ;)

I did try the truing blocks but to be honest if you want a truly flat stone they don't work.

btw. I generally use the 250/1000 stones for teaching and they are what I recommend to people. I use the single grit bricks as I tend to get through them rather too quickly (last year I sharpened about 2000 knives and lots of other things such as chisels, planes, drawknives, etc on the waterstones). The only time I would use the 1000/6000 is for carving tools that need a fine polished cutting edge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE