Sharpening hollow ground blades

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Mora knives are hollow ground, it's just very shallow.

I'm guessing you mean it has a secondary bevel, in which case 15-20degrees per side will be right for most things. I use a sharpmaker (unless it's a spyderco knife oddly enough)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hi Peterkm,
A swift search should reveal plenty of detailed info on sharpening hollow ground blades. The basics are using gradually finer abrasive sheets over a mouse mat - when the blade is drawn spine first, the foam allow sufficient deformation to maintain the hollow.
There is a school of thought that hollow ground blades are weaker than skandi or flat grinds, on account of there being less material behind the fine edge - which can lead to a weaker edge that can chip or roll over hastening bluntness.
If you get really stuck, have a look over on Britishblades, they have sack loads of sharpening information.

ATB

Ogri the trog

ssj

Forager
Jan 7, 2004
Colorado, USA
I sharpen my hollow ground knives (Doziers, primarily) with sand paper on a hoodoo hone backed with hard (red gasket) rubber. On my hoodoo hone, I have glued rubber on one side and strop leather on the other side. It measures 4cm X 15 cm X 12-13 mm. It weighs almost nothing with six strips of sandpaper.

I lift the back of the knife off of the hone slightly and draw with the spine first. I use progressively finer sandpaper (320 to 600 to 1200 to strop charged with abrasive compound). Unless I really get wild with my knife, I don't ever have to use the 320 grit. This gives me a sharp knife with a convex secondary bevel. I never scratch the sides of the knife with the sandpaper and I don't have to hold the knife exactly the same for every stroke. The give in the rubber yields a smooth convex secondary bevel.

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE