Sharpening for beginners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
Hi, apologies first if this topic is already covered, but I did a search here and on britishblades and was a bit overwhelmed....

Basically I am new to all this, none of my penkives have ever been sharpened, and having invested in a 'proper' knife with which to familiarise myself with some basic bushcraft techniques, I realised I actually know jack about how to sharpen an edge, or the terms used, equipment types, and techniques...

So, can any of you wise folk of the woods direct me to a suitable source of the info? Either manuals, websites or forum posts would be much appreciated, unless someone fancies writing a step by step tutorial ;) (that would make a useful sticky though eh? :D )

Thanks peeps....

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
thanks familne, I'll give that a look.

Innocent bystander: sorry, should have mentioned that! I have a little Frost Mora knife at present, which I'd like to learn to sharpen, and also to get the back of the blade sorted for striking a steel.

I also have a very old Sheffield steel pruning knife which my Grandad used on his allotment, so I'd like to get it sharp and shiny again if possible...

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
I'd definitely recommend the Spyderco Sharpmaker (available from Heinnie Haynes and all good retailers :) ). I use it for my kitchen knives and field knives and it works very well.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Hi,
A good place to start is with a combination waterstone. These are great for learning to sharpen and it's what I used when I first began. Now I use a gransfors puck for my knife and axe :)

Here we are: http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=22468&recno=9
I'd reccomend the combination 1000/6000 grit :).
Now, if you have the book "bushcraft" or "essential bushcraft" by Ray Mears which is well worth getting if you dont, it explains how to sharpen a knife with a waterstone.

Hope this helps,
Scott.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE