Sharpening an axe.

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Nice work THOaken sharpening is one of those things that you can do many ways. Just find one that works for you, try not to get too hung up on getting your axe to cut paper or shave hair its work sharp that matters, some of the very sharp edges don't last , only you will know which is best for you in use.

Mark

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
If you keep using a stone without being experienced at it, you will likely bugger the bevels up, put flat spots on them etc.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Nice work THOaken sharpening is one of those things that you can do many ways. Just find one that works for you, try not to get too hung up on getting your axe to cut paper or shave hair its work sharp that matters, some of the very sharp edges don't last , only you will know which is best for you in use.

Mark
Indeed, it's just seems like a good indicator of knowing whether or not I sharpened it efficiently and it looks like I did to my eyes.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I don't understand the difficulty.. Overcomplicated diagrams ain't gona help you either. Sharpen as you would a knife, but remove more steel higher up as not to let the edge get too fat. Keep a loose and relaxed circular motion and work all the working steel. That way you don't get any flattened areas or unnatural wear.

If it won't hold or take a great edge thin out the blade a little more with a file and polish it up on a good stone or sandpaper.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I don't understand the difficulty.. Overcomplicated diagrams ain't gona help you either. Sharpen as you would a knife, but remove more steel higher up as not to let the edge get too fat. Keep a loose and relaxed circular motion and work all the working steel. That way you don't get any flattened areas or unnatural wear.

If it won't hold or take a great edge thin out the blade a little more with a file and polish it up on a good stone or sandpaper.
I know. The process that was shown in the 'how to' thread seems far too complex. I'm sure it works, but the videos I watched sound exactly like the method you're describing and they're shown to work as well. It's not too complicated. I'll just need to get the hang of it. For now the edge seems to be better than it was.

There's no problem. I'm not complaining. I appreciate all the advice given.

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
It is, thats why its recommended to practice on a cheap axe and ruin that, rather than your good one :)

Better to use a file than a waterstone though, cheaper to replace, will last longer and it'd stop your stone being worn unevenly and having its lifespan severely reduced.

Yes, and is practice not a way of getting better?

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I know. The process that was shown in the 'how to' thread seems far too complex. I'm sure it works, but the videos I watched sound exactly like the method you're describing and they're shown to work as well. It's not too complicated. I'll just need to get the hang of it. For now the edge seems to be better than it was.

There's no problem. I'm not complaining. I appreciate all the advice given.

The how to thread is well written and most likely aimed at sharing detailed knowledge, rather than simply getting the job done.

I dont like over complicated, naturally it takes a while to grasp the basics in practice and keeping it real is the best course of action for newbies and experienced folk.

Keep stropping it and itll stay nice and shiny, especially after a sharpen!

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
The how to thread is well written and most likely aimed at sharing detailed knowledge, rather than simply getting the job done.

I dont like over complicated, naturally it takes a while to grasp the basics in practice and keeping it real is the best course of action for newbies and experienced folk.

Keep stropping it and itll stay nice and shiny, especially after a sharpen!
Sound words, indeed. There's no doubt I'll try a mix of methods in the future.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Ok Ok I admit I was never any good at metalwork at school (which was mostly filing things ad infinitum, with rare visits to the forge if you had ever got past the filing and drilling stage)

Sharpening is not my strong point, however I have never owned a fancy pants axe that I have had to cosset. I use a file and go by eye, I don't believe an axe needs to be super sharp to do what it does. (I don't use mine for carving) it is the physics of the thing that makes the cut, not the fineness of the blade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE