Sharpening a very old ws type d

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 23, 2014
west yorks
Hi guys,

Diiging about in a box of "gardening tools" given by a friend, I found what looks to be an old type d mod knife. It's currently so blunt it's more use as a hammer, but it's awesome and i'd like to get it back into use.i've done a bit of a search on the site, and most of the sharpening advice is for smaller knives or axes that have just lost their edge, this thing is round!

Any thought on where to start? I've a fairly well equipped workshop, but don't just want to attack it with a bench grinder & potentially ruin the old girl...

I'm up to speed on whetstones & stroping, but this is more than a stage beyond blunt!

cheers

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Welcome to the forum!

Post up a picture if you can, I'm sure people would be interested to see it. Sounds like you might have to get busy with files first before moving onto stones etc.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

It may sound like heresy to a lot of folks on here but there's no reason why you can't do the initial work on the bench grinder. That advice is based on the assumption that you'll A. take it slowly, B. don't use a lot of pressure and C. you cool the blade regularly by dunking it in cold water.

You normally temper a blade at between 170 deb C and 200 deg C so if the edge of the blade is getting a bit too hot to touch it's time to cool it off.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I'd use a small file, easy and effective with few risks!

Once you've thinned out the rounded edge, start to sharpen it until you're satisfied. :)

If you fancy parting with it, let me know! ;)

Jan 23, 2014
west yorks
Ok, some photos:
https://plus.google.com/photos/118096140062598177040/albums/5972882221168934545
I've given it a bit of a clean before the photos, and since then i gave it a bit of a go with a file and the whetstone. I'm really pleased with the way it makes short work of everything.

Only complaint is the forward machine screw is too long, sticking out. That's gonna be a source of blisters, may have to cut that down flush.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
If you don't fancy having a go yourself you could send it to one of the guys on here who would do a sympathetic job of it.
I had an MOD knife that had been to Longstrider and the edge was superb.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE