Sharpening a RAT 7

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ramapo

Aug 14, 2007
NYC
Thanks Weaver, that's what I figured.

Eric, do you find that the diafold sharpeners are large enough to sharpen a blade of over four inches? I thought they might be a little small, so I had my eye on coarse ad fine six inch whet stones. These bech stones also look a bit easier to use to me. If the diafold will do the job though, that'd be great as it's cheaper.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I keep a DiaFold in my pocket all the time. I have used it on machetes, butcher knives, axes, X-acto razor blades, fish hooks and hundreds of pocket knives. It is big enough to get the job done. It takes more work on a long knife, but the convenience of having it with you is worth the extra effort most of the time.

OTOH, if I run into something that is badly damaged or extremely dull I will not waste my time. Back to the shop and onto the belt sander it goes.

My large bench stones I reserve for planer blades, drawknives and wide chisels. Things that absolutely have to be flat.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I'll second Weavers words. I have DMT bench-hones but they live in the workshop for plane blades and the like. If I can't sharpen something with my Diafolds, it's in a very poor state indeed. I've sharpened everything from the small blades on Swiss Army Knives to billhooks and machetes with my diafolds. I've even used then to completely re-profile an axe or 3 in my time too.
It's a shame you missed my workshop at the Summer Moot. Had you been there I would have shown you how I sharpen with a diafold by holding the knife still and moving the hone. Doing it this way simply means that you can sharpen a blade of any size with a relatively small hone and still end up with an even, straight, and razor-sharp edge.

Ramapo

Aug 14, 2007
NYC
Alright, you convinced me. I ordered two of the DMT whetstones, a coarse and a fine stone. After I learn the basics with the benchstones, I'll move on and get a diafold to carry while I'm hiking and backpacking.

I'll let you all know how it goes. Hopefully the TAK-1 will be better for all this in the end!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE