sharpening a filleting knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

James1173

Dec 29, 2013
Marchington (staffordshire)
hi, i have a filleting knife which is now losing its edge. does anybody have any advice on the best way to sharpen it? im ok with sharpening my other knifes but with this being very "floppy" so to speak im struggling with it? thanks anyway.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Try a butchers steel first... provided the edge isn't too far gone it'll pick it up a treat. Use minimal pressure on the steel to avoid damaging the edge.

If it's too far gone for a steel, you can use a stone or a sharpening system (lansky, DC3/4, sharpmaker etc) but again, do it carefully and gently - for very thin knives there aren't really any shortcuts other than not letting them get blunted in the first place - I usually steel mine before every use to keep it in trim.

I recently had a go with one of Mr. Longstrider's strops and some smurf poo... not on a filleting knife but on my Opinel, another thin and delicate edge, which it brought up an absolute treat - definitely worth the investment IMHO.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE