Shaman, Healer, Priest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
In our travels I’m sure many of us have come across shamans, healers and similar people.

While I am interested in the use of plants and other substances for healings and accessing inner states, I often neglect to record the ceremonies usually to save the batteries and memory space for the bushcraft and scenery which are my prime interest.

Here are some that have been recorded. Please add your own

This is an Iban manang performing part of an exorcism / dream interpretation. Certain stones have been soaked in a water and oil mix with mouse deer bones. He holds the stones to the light and reads them in some arcane way.

What I cannot explain is why his hand has become incandescent. I did not see any incandescence and this is not a double image of the lamp. All I can think of is that one of the drab little stones is actually amber or topaz and it has refracted the lamp light

P4110306hand.jpg

The following pictures are a healer blessing a visitor to a Kenyah longhouse deep in the Borneo interior. With flash and without.

pam317.jpg

14.jpg

Don’t remember what this was about but his light sabre is quite cool

7.jpg

These are the tabernacle and offerings of a tamarok a ceremony at harvest festival time but this special sort is only, I understand, at decade intervals. The Dusun bobohizan (female priests) asked that they not be photographed while in the trance and for some reason I did not seem to take any photos of them in their finery before the trance dance. The entire event lasted a day and a night and several children with severe afflictions were brought out for healing and blessings around midnight. Did not feel it was right to photograph the kids especially as it would involve flash so you just get the tabernacle and offerings

P1010099Medium.jpg

P1010107Medium.jpg

pigheadandtusksMedium.jpg

Here is a spirit house along a small river near the Kalimantan-Sarawak watershed. It is where the ceremonies and sacrifices are carried out but nothing was being done that night (as far as I am aware of). Look closely at the top of the pole.

P1010404.jpg

P1010407.jpg

pam279a.jpg

To be balanced I visited the house of God to see the syncretic symbol devised by the priests commemorating sacrifice at the mission about a hundred klicks away.

21.jpg

I do think however that the former animists and now Christian converts of this longhouse have captured the aesthetic spirit of their new religion much better than their priests.

pam321.jpg

However the most powerful spirits I have encountered in the jungles of Borneo are these dancing in the lamp light.

pam313.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Brilliant :D

Sometimes my life can seem terribly parochical, and then I see photos like this, and I wonder at a different world.

Then I look again, and it's still food and drink and flowers and people living and wishing for health and a good future.

The energy in the hands is known to every culture in the world, from healers to priests, even the Christian's "laying on of hands" is related to it. Folks just believe it comes from different sources...........might be wrong there, I don't know how Islam views it :dunno:

Thank you for posting these :D

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Erm...I am a registered and insured Tutor in Spiritual Healing...my Wife is a Reiki Healer, my next door neibour is a shiatsu practitioner, the one the other side is a reflexologist...the ceremonies are so drab as not to warrant photos....
But the treatments all work at various levels.
Lots of Healers, shamans and priests around here in West Wales....

OldFingersGreen

Forager
Jan 30, 2009
Manchester
Erm...I am a registered and insured Tutor in Spiritual Healing...my Wife is a Reiki Healer, my next door neibour is a ****su practitioner, the one the other side is a reflexologist...the ceremonies are so drab as not to warrant photos....
But the treatments all work at various levels.
Lots of Healers, shamans and priests around here in West Wales....

My neigbour is a grade 2 reiki healer looking to complete her masters next year. I studied martial arts from a very early age, bushido to be exact, roughly translated "the way of the warrior" much of this practise has nothing to do with fighting, it is self control, meditating and learning to control the flow of Chi. I dont profess to be very good at anything but i can make people feel the ki from my hands, probably something i would like to expand on in later life but i do not have the time or focus of mind to try.

As toddy said "healing hands" are recognized throughout the world. even if you follow no religion have you never kissed you childs grazed elbow? do you remember how it felt when you yourself were a child? dont know about you but that pain was gone faster than nytol at an insomniacs convention.

edit. nice pictures by the way!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE