shallow water fishing help please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Flecktarnbiker

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2013
Hampshire
Hi
Our friends own part of a a shallow river that is full of brown trout and they have full fishing ights to it however...I cannot fly fish for my life would i be able to float small worms,bread,cornetc over the surface if i jig it along/The river varys between 30cm ish to about 50cm ish. I thought of buying a small fly and jigging it over the surface with my rod but im not sure if itll work? Any help is greatly recieved!
Thanks

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have a look at Tenkara fishing, you might be able to adapt some existing tackle and get something near.

I bought a cheap 9ft carbon Tenkara copy off ebay for less than a tenner delivered.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Try bubble float and fly ,just tie a six foot trace to the bubble float with a dry fly at the end and trot it down the river not very elegant fishing but it works

Flecktarnbiker

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2013
Hampshire
thanks shewie ill take a look and jag i dont care if its not elegant it just has to trick the little guys. There is wild watercress growing in the river though

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Fished many a small stream on Exmoor, as a boy - length of hazel, line tied on the end, just a hook and a piece of cheese moulded around it. The bright colour of the cheese helps you see when a fish takes it. Bit of cheddar and must be kept cool and fresh, otherwise it's a bugger to stay on the hook. A simple softly softly approach to the water is more important than anything.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Have a look at Tenkara fishing, you might be able to adapt some existing tackle and get something near.

I bought a cheap 9ft carbon Tenkara copy off ebay for less than a tenner delivered.

This is a great option, the great thing about Tenkara kit is it can work with fly and basic pole kit. I am planning on trying it for mullet later on this year.

Just free line a worm

Another good option, there is also the single SSG size 10 hook and a decent size worm.

I also might be able to knock up a few micro plug's, let me do a little thinking and let me get my maker + before I post it up.

Atehequa

May 27, 2013
Tsenacommacah
We fish stretches of mountain rivers and streams. Sometimes we'll use fly rods,but in waters where there are smallmouth and red-eyed rock bass as well as native brook, rainbow and brown trout, I depend more upon my ultra-light spin casting rod.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE