Shaggy parasols

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
any good for eating? And how common are the reported gastric upsets?

I think they taste pretty good. I was under the impression it should be well cooked. occasionally some can get a little ill even when it is cooked. I wouldn't eat a large amount first time. Just 1 or 2. I find it hard to get proper statistics on how often a food poisons people, what reports you find rarely say how much was eaten either.

cooper johnson says " lepiota procera..can have adverse effects in some individuals; palpitations, flushing of the skin and shivering were recorded after eating one specimen. Recovery occurred within a few hours." That is about how complete the information gets. Not much help making informed decisions.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Shaggy parasols can grow quite large, and I've heard of people using them as pizza bases! I usually tear them up and bung them into my billy as an addition to a nice stew.

EdS

though it was OK - seem to recall eating them last year. To be honest I fairly certain they are large parasols rather than shaggy as there has been no colour change in the flesh after cookng.

Probably going to dry them, as I'm not sure when I'll get to eat them.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
And very yummy they are too.

Had a couple for breakfast on Saturday.

1791158048_9fc43a49a6_m.jpg

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Not done them properly (well other than a small bit just to make sure I wasn't one of the ones who had a reaction to them and I knackered it up by frying it in butter so it slid down my throat like a greasy slug:eek: ) so am looking forward to my mates hedge growing some massive ones again.

I read later that its best to batter them and have them as fritters:(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE