Shadowhawk tracker school - anyone been?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I did my fundamental and intermediate tracking courses with Max (the owner of Shadowhawk) but it was through Survival School so, I can throughly recommend the Survival School courses (have a look on their website) and Max but I have no specific experience of Shadowhawk courses...:)

Andy

Oct 2, 2011
Reading, Berks
If it helps I did the Woodlore Tracking course last year and can recommend it, was great fun and opened my eyes to nature, got me addicted to tracking too. I've booked into the Shadow Hawk course in July this year as I've heard good feedback and I'm interested to see how the two courses differ.
Will let you know how it goes if I remember.

Rich

Deepwater17

Oct 6, 2011
UK
I did the Wildlife Tracking course with Max and two of his instructors in April of this year.What Max doesn't know about tracking probably isn't worth knowing.There were seven of us on the course at Canoteign Falls on the edge of Dartmoor, start was at 17.00 on Friday and finish 14.00 on Monday with one hell of a lot of instruction and exercises (day and night!! ), Everyone either bivied or had a small tent and there was always a fire going for cooking and warmth (Thanks Dai). We also had plenty of time for informal chats and discussions around the fire.
Max teaches the art of tracking from both a scientific side and a spiritual side. It really does change your perspective on things and gives you the thirst for more.

I for one will be signing up to do the Master Tracker course later this year. I highly recommend Shadowhawk - you will not be disappointed.

Oct 2, 2011
Reading, Berks
I know it's an old thread but in case anyone is interested or searching via google, I went on a ShadowHawk tracking course last summer (2013), really enjoyed it and learned loads. There's a lot of focus on tuning in with the environment and building up to more complex tracking. One aspect I really liked was that the instructors camped among and chatted with the students during the evening which made it more enjoyable and you learned a lot from chatting around the camp fire. Hated returning to normal life and having to drive back. Max wasn't present but I didn't find that a disadvantage, the instructors knew their stuff.

Oct 2, 2011
Reading, Berks
I'd recommend both, the Woodlore course is more expensive but lasts longer. One benefit of their course was talking and learning from the other students (I think there was about 12 of us) whereas with the ShadowHawk course there was just three of us (that may have been unusual so another course may have more students?).
With both courses the instructors were excellent, as mentioned previously the Shadow Hawk instructors mixed with the students 'out of hours' which made for a more relaxing communal atmosphere but the Woodlore instructors were easy to get along with and you felt you could ask any questions, just different approaches. They both covered very similar material, from memory ShadowHawk covered more about bird life dynamics and a little more detail on animal specifics whereas Woodlore covered choosing optics and had more tactical tracking with multiple teams (as there were more students and time).
I'd go on another course with either if I could afford it but to be honest I need to spend much more 'dirt' time learning myself before I can justify it.
One thing, even if you're not into tracking I'd recommend both courses as they're great fun and they both want to make you spend more time outside getting in tune with and observing nature. I came away from both feeling very relaxed but reluctant to get into my car. Either would be good for a novice as they you don't need previous experience.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE