SF Endurance -10...packs like a roll mat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
Hi, i have read most of the threads on this nanok bag, and they've been both useful and enlightening, but i haven't seen any comments on the packed dimensions of the bag and was wondering if people had any info on the subject. i have read here:

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/endurance_sf_sleeping_bag_10_c/

that it packs 18 by 53 cm, but this seemed a little long so i wasn't sure whether or not to believe it.

I ask because i am hoping to upgrade from a poorly looked after but cheap Aztec swallow 250, and i have slight trouble fitting even that (and it packs to 39cm long when uncompressed) into the bottom of my berghaus vulcan, and would be worried about balance of the pack if i had to stow the bag upright and to the side. i have used the swallow (which i have left stored in the compression sack for quite a while :eek: ) in north wales in december, with a closed cell foam mat, a silk liner, a breathable nylon army lightweight bivvi bag and a full set of clothes, and i was still cold, despite it only reaching about -2 deg. C! It is, now, a truly awful bag, and was only a 1-2 season at best (despite the YHA stores classification of 2-3) when i bought it anyway. Cold spots don't even come into it with this bag, it's a cold blanket if anything, though it does have an interesting bunching of insulation that has accumulated up by the neck, and it weighs 1.7/8kg in my pack!

Also, i am a pretty short guy (5'4", 163cm ish), and have little use for any unnecessary extra weight, the bergan is heavy enough but makes up for it in the quality of the hip belt, so am having trouble deciding whether either the performance range or an ajungilak kompakt would better suit me or not, since both come in 180cm length bags, and both are made from lighter materials. To be honest, any of these bags will be well warm enough for my purposes, but the SF -10 is very attractive for it's ruggedness and the foot bucket seems particularly useful, on top of that it would make concrete my reputation as the Green Man!

I am looking at a therm-a-rest too, or an equivalent, but even for their quality it seems that paying for them half the price of the sleeping bag is a bit extortionate...i'm a student. are the cheaper versions as rugged? the other thing i have to consider of course is the extra weight of an air mat.

And just as an aside, should you roll up or literally 'stuff' bags into the compression sack? does it depend on the type of bag?

thanks for any help in advance.

-ian

p.s. do they still use pertex? i'm guessing not since i read they went bankrupt, but don't know what they use now if that's the case.

Grez

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
-
Hi Ian
bushtuckerman said:
that it packs 18 by 53 cm, but this seemed a little long so i wasn't sure whether or not to believe it.

Well i have just checked mine and it is currently packed at abround 20 x 43cm

bushtuckerman said:
And just as an aside, should you roll up or literally 'stuff' bags into the compression sack? does it depend on the type of bag?

I do just "stuff" it in until I get home, and repack it by rolling for long term storage.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I'm sure some-one will disagree, but i thought it was a bad idea to store a sleeping bag in a compressed state as this affects the 'loft' over time.
That's why i store mine folded in half over a coat hanger, inside a suit cover.

I think the same applies to thermarest type mats. (that's why mines stored flat, under the bed)

I've also heard (on here, i think) that it's easier to pack a sleeping bag into a bergan if you don't put it in it's stuff sack, but stuff it into your bergan so it fits into all the awkward shaped gaps. I've tried it and it is easier to pack in.

HTH
Steve

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Stuff it! - while you are out and 'using it'

Leave it loose! - while you are storing it! - I store all our sleeping bags in the loft, open and fluffy over a pole so they air and the insulation (down and synthetic) isn't compressed and gets a 'Memory'

The quickest way to age your sleeping bag is to store it compressed!!!! - less loft = less warmth!!!

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
cheers guys, sounds like the 53 is a typo then. the thing about the Aztec bag is that to give it the space required for airing would require enourmous belief in it's worth! and it really is a shocking bag. a decent bag however i would store properly.

on 'stuffing', i'm still not entirely sure which would be best for the bag (in the short term), since i've heard conflicting ideas from various people before. it seems to me that by rolling it up you are less likely to damage the construction of the fibre mats, but i have no experience with a good bag.

thanks

-ian

p.s. it seems john bull are selling the SF -10 for £90!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE