Sewing Machine

I have been thinking of getting a sewing machine but the prices have been putting me off, especially if I am only going to use it occasionally.
I quite like the patterns in the Snow Walkers companion book plus have a few other ideas in mind and was wondering is it quite difficult to learn how to sew. Last time I used a machine was a long time ago and then it was only briefly

I was at the boot sale the other week and some some of those old black ones but never went up and had a look. Are they any good, also any idea what the going price for one of these are?

If they are cheap and good I may keep an eye out tomorrow if I go up.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Is so easy, even a Geologist can do it! Lol!

Buying an old model may mean you need to take it to a dealers to be serviced and set up correctly. I have one given to me by my grandmother when she gave up using it, it's from 1973 and still does the job ok. I use my wife's one more often than not, she bought it last year for about £90 iirc.

There's plenty of bargains to be had out there, it all depends upon how much you'd like to budget at the outset.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I was at the boot sale the other week and some some of those old black ones but never went up and had a look. Are they any good, also any idea what the going price for one of these are?

By old black ones I take it you mean something like this

sewing-machine.jpg

If you do then all you need to do is look at the stuff Wayland makes as that's all he uses... he's so good it makes you sick at times :rolleyes::lmao:

As for prices you can pick them up from £10-40 mark :)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
The older machines, particularly the hand-cranked ones, are great for starting on. They are simple to operate, capable, robust, durable and everything happens relatively slowly so you can remain in control and see just what is happening.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
By old black ones I take it you mean something like this

We have one exactly the same as that. Lovely bit of engineering. :)

As for prices you can pick them up from £10-40 mark :)

The wife picked up (yet another) one for 12.50 at a local charity shop a couple of weeks ago. I think that makes about seven or eight now, I think at least four of which are treadle versions. Not counting the five modern sewing and three knitting machines. :rolleyes:

Aug 13, 2011
Anything wiv "Singer" on the side is OK.

They have a nation-wide service network, and can still service ones 80+ plus years old.....

Electric motor or Treadle really is a must... As you need two hands a lot of the time to feed the material through...

Use a "leather" type needle, for thick material.... :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
For a sewing noob, the old Singers are hard to beat. With modern machines, you have too many options to get your head around quickly and you have to spend a lot of money to get something as capable as an old properly working Singer or similar.

Most of the older models only do straight stitches but will handle thick webbing and leather as well as really lightweight ripstop. The gears are metal, not plastic and will last if maintained with machine oil before every use and kept clean.

I actually prefer to use the singer over my newer machine, it often stitches more neatly.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
I picked up this one for under £8, it is a bit of a pain feeding material and keeping the seams straight, but it as Teepee says it has sewn through webbing straps, 1mm of polypropylene sheet from a food prep mat I used as a liner for a sheath and is really easy to set up. I might get something more complicated as my projects become more complex, but it has taught me a few fundamentals of how to use these machines, and as it is 98 years old and in perfect working order, they were built to last. As the saying goes, keep it simple.

Is so easy, even a Geologist can do it! Lol!

Lol I am sure I can. :) But how do I get a hammer involved?

I will have a lookout the next time I am at the boot sale and see how much they are, but I have a feeling they may want to charge more than a few quid, especially after seeing some of the prices on ebay ranging from a fiver to the hundreds.

Mequite - yup thats what they looked like and it was a bit of inspiration from Wayland as well that started this, but knowing on me I end up getting it, use it for a bit and then sits there looking pretty for a while until I think of something else.

Will the machine be ok with thin leather as well? I do that by hand at the moment.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Lol I am sure I can. :) But how do I get a hammer involved?

You can always get your hammer involved! Usually when things aren't going according to plan. lol

Regarding leather, my wifes other sewing machine (a Singer 66k treadle powered from 1917) can do leather, but I've not really put it through its paces. I've done stuff up to 1.6 mm (doubled over) and it's done okay. I think with the hand wheel and treadle machines there's a lot more torque involved as you are the motor so to speak. The modern ones don't cut the mustard when it comes to thick leather unless you spend much more on a semi-industrial one like the 132k etc.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Buying a sewing machine was the best thing I did, kitwise. I bought a japanese zig-zag machine. There is a host of brands and makes of them. If you get models from the 50's and a bit into the 60's you'll get all steel, all good machines. Like the electric singers, pfaffs and others from the same era the are almost all flatbed, made to fit in a table/cabinet or with the self standing base, they have separate motors on the backside and bobbin spooling mechs at the front, right by the flywheel. Most of these machines are fantastic, and can be have for very little money. I paid about £50 for a machine in mint condition. And since they're all steel they are repairable well beyond our lifespan. These kinds of machines are abundant on the used market.

This is mine, ain't she a beauty? Like an 50's american car, ahh, everything was better in the past (before I was born even, can't reminisce about, but it feels like that..)
1661188704.jpg

I wouldn't sacrifice zig-zag for the apparent robustness of the old threadle and handcrank machines, I do all my overloking with zig-zag, makes life easier.

The low shank system has endless presser feet options (I have like 15 different, favourite is by far the fell seam foot and bias tape binder), and I managed to find a buttonholer for it, makes identical buttonholes at a breeze. Fantastic stuff really, light years better than any plastic electronic machine with cheap plastic snap-on feet I have yet to come across. I can even do furniture grade leather in a few plys and heavy canvas in a pinch. But since I like working with heavy stuff I have now bought a walking foot machine (a used Pfaff 145 that's being overhauled). Gonna go get it in a few weeks, and hopefully sort that three phase motor out... :eek: Sewing is addictive.

Oh, whatever you buy, be sure to get a thread stand, that way you can buy industrial thread, which is a h3ll lot cheaper, and some bonded nylon thread isn't avalaible on domestic spools. Also, usually vertical hook assemblies with real bobbin cases are more robust than horisontal hooks, and machines without bobbin cases, where you just put in the bobbin in the hook just causes a fuss. In my experience at least.

Even more post scriptum! I have to say that these kinds of machines are also easier to oil than modern machines. They are also far more quite than modern machines, comparing with my girlfriends modern husky viking emerald, mine runs like a whisper. Only machines to run quiteter I've come across are industrial machines with clutch motors in good condition or with servomotors.

Last edited:

Sallysmith

Aug 11, 2011
Manchester
I'm not sure what those ones are like as I've never used them but if you do want to start learning to sew you can buy some cheap but good sewing machines online. This is what I recently did. I got my machine from Toyota (http://www.home-sewing.com/) and obviously there are all different kinds for depending on what you are going to be using it for, but if you're only going to be using it occasionally then you should definiatily find a cheap machine that suits you on here, it's worth checking out anyway I suppose.

I hope this helps and good luck with the sewing!

Sally :)

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I'm not sure what those ones are like as I've never used them but if you do want to start learning to sew you can buy some cheap but good sewing machines online. This is what I recently did. I got my machine from Toyota (http://www.home-sewing.com/) and obviously there are all different kinds for depending on what you are going to be using it for, but if you're only going to be using it occasionally then you should definiatily find a cheap machine that suits you on here, it's worth checking out anyway I suppose.

I hope this helps and good luck with the sewing!

Sally :)

Spam?

Either way, the machines presented as 'allrounders' on that site have a motor effect of 70W, pathetic. Toyota made great all steel sewing machines under different brands in the 50's and 60's, I would much rather buy one of those. Or a used industrial toyota machine. Both of those options will be cheaper too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE