Server errors

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 13, 2022
High Wycombe
But that worked ok. Just tried to update my original thread re Fire steel again, and still get server error. Anyway, I decided to go with the Light my Fire steel.

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
hey Onlyme, did yon just get server issues when you tried to edit the thread or at some other time? Can you remember the error you received?

Thanks
T

Dec 13, 2022
High Wycombe
hey Onlyme, did yon just get server issues when you tried to edit the thread or at some other time? Can you remember the error you received?

Thanks
T
Hi Tony, yep, first tried to add to my post using edit, then tried to make a new post to the same thread and neither worked due to server error. That’s all I remember.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I just got the server error message when trying to create a new thread.

I've tried several times and even tried creating one without picture attachments, but I get the same server error message.

OK, update - I removed all cut and paste text and re-entered the text manually and it's worked. So, maybe there was an embedded character or something that upset things. I have used cut and paste before and it has worked in the past.

May be a red herring, sorry :)

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
The problem is unicode support.

The actually error is from MySQL I believe, server is trying to convert posts to utf8mb3, which only allows a limited sub set of unicode characters (basic multilingual plane) and characters from other planes are causing the error. To allow the full use of all unicode characters need to use utf8mb4.

I know nothing of XenForo though so no idea how to fix. Though this may help.

Reactions: British Red

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Had this message again yesterday evening trying to send a pm, tried aa couple of times no joy, then I removed the emoji and it seemed to send ( I've had no reply to my PM so cannot confirm if it actually went / arrived )

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Just had the same issue, multiple times!
After wasting around about an hour trying to figure it out I found the above. reading the above, cutting and pasting from my notes was the issue. Re typed everything and bingo!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It's a weird one, we're trying to pin it down, phone emojis seem to be the biggest culprit, putting the forum ones into text doesn't cause the issues

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE