Sept overnighter in Kent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi all, thought I'd share some piccies from a late summer camp out in my local woods. I love this time of year in the woods and this particular spot had a really nice feel about it (I appreciate how weird that may sound). There's such vibrant colours and it's great to listen to the wildlife at night. I'm looking forward to getting out as often as the missus will let me during the next few months!

As is often the case I had some new toys to play with on this camp-out in the form of a wood gas stove and very good it was too. I have to confess though that while I had no bother lighting it at home with dry wood, that wasnt quite the case when in the woods. We had a lot of rain during the run up to this camp, this is not to say the stove is rubbish but rather that I am incompetent at lighting fires! My saviour came in the form of some fatwood in my fire kit - that stuff is good! I definitely have some lessons to learn from that experience during the coming weeks and months but then that's half the fun isn't it? Best bit is that I can practice fire lighting techniques in the woodgas stove and not worry about leaving a fire scar.

So my camp mates and I are mostly soft southern hammock campers as we likes the comfort and the swing but one of my fellow campers decided that he'd been spoiling himself with his hammock on recent camps so thought it was time to go back to basics with his tarp and bivvy setup. I can't possibly comment on how comfortable his night was but I can well appreciate the sense of simplicity about laying down your bivvy and making it your home.

I had a glorious nights sleep in my hammock and would almost go as far as to say it was was a better nights kip than I get on my memory foam mattress back home. I might add that, being quite a warm sleeper, I only used an old foam mat for insulation as I'm too tight to get an underblanket so it'll be interesting to see how far into the colder months I can get with the trusty mat, fingers crossed.

Here's some piccies of the setups:
20150919_162347_zpswwdqmuln.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20150919_162701_zpszalhl540.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20150919_162638_zpsqgtshcah.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And our upside down fire just getting going, it was lit using good old silver birch bark scrapings:
20150919_152257_zpsr1yynhjx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And now for some target practice with the catapults, I must confess that I'm useless with them things so I prefer to kick back in my hammock chair (I loves my hammock chair, best £15 I ever spent!)
20150919_162600_zpseqsm96ls.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Obligatory atmospheric photo of some campers contemplating life while the smoke disappears into the trees:
IMG_20150920_121137_zpsjnaetq5b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Piccy of the view outside the woodland the following morning and looking across the North downs in Kent:
20150920_082514_zps9rmhjqnh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Didn't get a photo of the woodgas stove but here it is being christened outside my man-cave. It boiled water very fast, left surprisingly little waste and cleaned up great:
20150912_155520_zpsopzoihu0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Finally a piccy of my NI patrol pack. Am well chuffed with this pack, I feel it's the perfect size for one or two nights in woods:
20150913_175638_zpso9cbs4ht.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Oh and of course we left no trace, just footprints:
20150920_081110_zpsdgqw4whk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

OK so there wasn't a great deal of bushcraft being practiced here but it was a great time to kick back, relax, enjoy the surroundings and feel sorry for everyone sitting at home watching crap tv..............its xfactor season..........aaaaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhh!..........I'm not a celebrity get me out of this living room!

Last edited:

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
All dirt time is good time and from the pictures that looks a great spot to kick back in. Good cover, the grounds flat and dry you couldn't ask for much better.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Great write up as usual Barney,was a very good overnighter and great company.they allways go to quick I suppose time flys when your having fun.And as for sleeping on the ground after hammocking for years was great,but a thicker mattress wouldn't have gone a miss.I now have a alpkit Nuro that I plan on using next time,may even put it on a raised bed.That was such a nice walk back across the feild in morning sunshine.Here's to the next one in a couple of weeks ��

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
I've got a few things to mess about with next time.I got myself a woodgas stove,alpkit nuro sleep matt,a pack away saw,some pouches to test out and I have carved myself a new natural catapult to test out along with the growing collection of slingshots I seem to be acquiring,I'm waiting on a bill Hayes one aswel at the moment from America.I do love a catapult,trying to fine the perfect one although my gamekeeper john one seems favourite for now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE