Self Teflon

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I can't imagine it's an easy job! I had to Google how it's even done in the first place, seems they sand blast the metal then prime it with a teflon coat and bake that on, then another coat and bake that on too... I bet that's probably really simplified also.

Personally, I prefer oil :) I just never have got on with teflon pans - they always seem to inevitably get scratched at some point in their lives.

Don't quote me on this, but I think when cooking with oil (Once hot enough!) the water in the food begins to turn into steam and a layer of steam is formed under the food which prevents it from sticking.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
There was a thread on here about making stainless steel non stick with oil. I didnt see the thread but my old man did every pan in the house with the method shown on here It works.

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
+1. Stainless frying pans gets seasoned at home, works just the same as any other steel and helps cleaning.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'd really like a how-to on the seasoning of SS; I've never been able to do it but I'd surely like to! It'd be a very useful thing for me to know how to do :)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Just wipe the oil on Mac, heat and it's done, same as cast iron. Might need several goes. It's just a process that polymerises the oil quickly with heat.

What happens when you do it mate?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've always ended up with a layer of polymerised oil that just wants to peel off like a skin after two or three uses; I spoke to a few people I know who cook for a living and they all said it can't be successfuly done. This was all a good while back and I haven't bothered since............I'd find it extremely handy to do a couple of bits of SS that I fry on when out :)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Ah, that makes sense Mac.

I've welded some food on by then, cleaned and had to reseason. I find it just makes getting the welded food off much easier.

Think the peeling would be because of the smoother finish than the rougher cast stuff. The rougher surface not only grab better but enables a thicker coating on cast stuff.

I'm tempted to put some cast iron on the polishing wheels now. :lmao:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yeah, perhaps I should rough up the surface a little and then try it - I do know somewhere where they have a little blasting booth for cleaning off rubber molds; thanks Pete, I'll report back :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE